Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

[Deleted]

Old 09-24-2002, 08:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting birds

If you're shooting at the birds while they're flying,flu-flu's will work nice.If they're on the ground,I'd use regular fletched arrows-the flu-flu's make alot of noise.As for points,use broadheads-any fixed blade head that shoots good off your bow.I use a helical on all my arrows,too.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:52 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I found out that rubber blunts are no good for birds--at least for grouse. I saw one get nailed solid with a rubber blunt from a 65lb longbow and it recovered and flew off. I have also used judo's on ducks and would not reccomend those either. The Ace hex-head blunt worked great on the grouse, but not sure how well it would work on the larger birds. Probably go with a broadhead to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 09-25-2002, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Pretty hard to beat a broadhead for what they were intended. Just be very careful where your shot goes if shooting up in the air.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:25 PM

I second John's advice. If you have an open area where you know where your arrows will LAND I would use reg fletching as you will def have better arrow speed and trajectory. As far as broadheads go I would use the largest cutting diameter 3 blade that you could find. The bigger the hole the more damage. It is hard enough tracking a deer that leaves hoof prints, much less a fowl on the wing. MY $.02's

Old 09-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Has anyone ever tried a bowfishing rig on birds?

God bless,
Brandan

Old 09-25-2002, 08:15 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I didn't really think the original question over very well when I posted before (still tired from the trip), but I have given it a little more thought. I agree with the broadhead comments--the bigger the better, as penetration won't be an issue. I am not sure about using regular fletched arrows though--I know that flu-flu's would work fine for me at duck shooting range. However, my flu-flu's are cedar and tend to go a good bit further than the ones I have made from aluminums, due to the weight I suppose. A 4-fletch flu-flu will carry farther than a 6 fletch as well. A Scorpio behind the broadhead might be a good idea as well, with aluminum arrows at least (they will really scuff the finish on a wood arrow).

IrishLad, I haven't tried a bowfishing rig, but I doubt it would work very well, except on really close shots. The fishing arrows don't generally have the best flight, and the string will really slow a lighter arrow down and probably interfere with flight as well.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-20-2002, 08:06 PM

hartr66-
I also duck & goose hunt with my bows. A friend of mine, Earl Bateman(E.W.Bateman&Co.), makes an insert you put behind your broadhead (if you use threaded inserts) called the "Adder" - it adds 8 little cutting edges. It blows a serious hole on impact and usually keeps the arrow from passing through a bird (unless your just too close).
It works a lot like a judo point but won't stand the arrow up if you flight shoot (but the broadhead normally sticks in the mud/dirt anyway). It's incredible on geese here on the Texas coastal prairie!
The "Adder" works great on a regularly fletched hunting arrow as well which makes it great on small game.

http://www.ewbateman.com/

You'll notice that I use straight fletching on my full/un-cut FluFlu fletchings- also note that the 6th fletching is missing so it doesn't interfere with the arrow rest or riser window.

The reason I use Zwickey heads- many, many years ago the rep for Zwickey gave us a demo- He was shooting through concrete cinder blocks with Eskimos- it dulled the head but didn't bend or brake it! - I was convinced- I've been shooting them ever since.

CaptJack - Republic of Texas
Be A Better Hunter - Get A Better Shot

Edited by - CaptJack on 10/21/2002 20:17:25
Old 10-20-2002, 09:48 PM

Edited by - CaptJack on 10/20/2002 22:50:57

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.