Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

both eyes open?

Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 AM

Default both eyes open?

are you suppose to shoot with one eye closed or both eyes open because if i have both eyes open and focus on the arrow what i am shooting at gets fuzzy and if i focus on whatever i am shooting i see two arrows but if i have one eye closedit is perfect but i am always hearing to keep both eyes open when you shoot can you help me
thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: both eyes open?

Hi Matt,

I personally shoot with one eye open, but direct my focus only on the target, keeping the arrow in the peripheral fision only(Byron Ferguson Method). If I loose focus on the target at all for any reason, I let up, cause more then likely I will miss.Some do shoot with both eyes open and I would prefer to do it that way. Maybe after hunting season, I will try to work on that, but not for now.

Anyway, I would really suggest getting out of the habit of focussing on the arrow instead of the target. Keep thefocus on thetarget on every step of processincluding follow through.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's right. Never look directly at the arrow when you're taking aim. Always concentrate on the center of the center of what you're aiming at. You'll be aware of the arrow but not really paying much, if any, attention to it. There's also nothing wrong with closing the off eye. This is one of the things where you have to decide what works best for you and to heck with 'The Rules.'

Like me and my stance. 'The Rules' say I should have my back foot slightly advanced in relation to my front foot. When I do that, it puts my shoulders out of alignment with the target and I get a lot of misses to the right. It makes my shoulders align to the left of the target, so I wind up using muscle tension to push the bow right and keep the arrow pointed at the target. When I shoot and that tension is released, the muscle tension in my bow arm makes it rebound off to the right and forces my arrow off course. I have to keep my back foot behind my front foot to get my shoulders properly aligned with the target so my bow arm won't move during the shot.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:51 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I made myself learn to shoot with both eyes open. The mental part was the hardest to get over--I just didn't think I could do it before I even tried. It's helped my shooting, but like Art said--the "rules" don't apply to everyone equally. Do what works best for you.

Chad
Old 07-15-2005, 03:27 PM

These other guys know way more then me so I have nothing to add except that I shot like thisas aposed to like this . I have shot shot guns my hole life with both eyes open so that is what felt natural for me. I cant see anything with one shut.

Good luck with your new bow.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Yepper, I agree w/everyone else, do what works best for ya.

Justbear in mind that you may need both eyes for depth (or distance) perception at unknown yds.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, bow season is pretty much over, and I decided trying to work on my shooting with both eyes open. In the past, I've been using the Byron Ferguson method (well almost) of getting the arrow shaft directly below my right eye (I shoot right handed), seeing the arrow in my peripheral vision, and concentrating on the target. And I must say that I have done well with that method with my left eye closed.

The last few sessions though, I am keeping both eyes open. One good thing that really came to a surprize to me is how clearly I can see the arrow trajectory with both eyes open. However, the downfall is seeing two arrows in my peripheral vision, not good. There is no way of really telling if the arrow is indeed below my right pupil.

Question, will the problem take care of itself with time? How can others using the Ferguson method keep both eyes open and only see one arrow while concentrating on the target? Byron does it.

I really want to try this out for a few months and see what happens.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot with both eyes open and only see one arrow in my peripheral vision...

Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I shoot with both eyes open and only see one arrow in my peripheral vision...

Same here
Old 11-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

You supposedly have chosen an anchor that puts your arrow directly under your dominant eye pupil, so thatshouldn't bean issue. At least, as long as your anchor isconsistent. If it really is an issue for you, you can close the off eye to make sure your anchor is there, then open it before you shoot. Might be a good way to get accustomed to keeping both eyes open.

I don't notice two arrows in my peripheral vision. I just now drew back and took notice though. I do see two arrows that merge at the tip. Otherwise,I only seethe one on the right (right hand draw, right eye dominant). So, I suppose it's something you learn to do with experience.

I do have tosay though, that I started out shooting with one eye closed and did that for a long, long time before I learned I was 'supposed' to keep both eyes open. I still close the off eye and gunbarrel the arrow when I shoot at something small and very close, like a scale in the middle of a rattlesnake's headat under 5 yards. [:-]

Quick Reply: both eyes open?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.