Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Help shooting a recurve

Old 05-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Help shooting a recurve

Can someone tell me how to shoot a recurve. I have been shooting one recently. How should I pull the string back with my fingers? How should i hold the bow. I have been shooting a compound for severals years. thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 07:48 PM

Default RE: Help shooting a recurve

Yes with fingers, find a comfortable anchor. Most anchor with index in corner of mouth. Just get a lot of pratice tell it feels right.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:12 PM

For me, it took a lot of trial and error to get on target. You have to find what works for you. My son introduced me to recurves first, then I went to a compound, but have yet to take the first shot hunting with it. The recurve just seems, and is, more of a challenge. It is what I prefer to use. I first tried split fingers with an anchor of middle finger at edge of mouth, but have progressed to 3 under fingers and a high anchor of index finger at side of eye socket. My son used to make fun of my technique, but soon conceded to how it worked well for me. I have a mixture of what they call "instinctive" shooting and "gap" style. I really think all shooting involves a sight picture, no matter how small in your minds eye, of the relationship of arrow position and target point of aim. So on shots of say, 25 yds, I stand with a slight open stance to perpendicular of target, raise bow arm to a firm, but not locked elbow position, and begin aiming with both eyes open. pull string back on a level sight line to target, and anchor at the same point each time beside my eye. I then close one eye to help incorporate the sight picture relationship of arrow point and intended target. I normally hold full draw { 57 lbs} for 2-3 secs. before release. The grip of the bow is one of a push-pull to the string with pressure against the meaty part of my thumb, and a weakened finger grip on the riser. At 25 yards, for me, it is aiming the arrow point about 4 inches high at a one o'clock position to target. All this is sort of hazy though, so there is no real clear picture of the arrow in my vision, but only in its relation to point of aim, which has the stronger picture in my concentration. I try to see the arch of the travel of the arrow in my mind's eye before release, almost like a imaginary smoke trail. The fingers are not really "flung open" to release the arrow, but more comfortably just "let go" by having the string pull it from a weakened grip at the wrist. I keep my position after the shot with a follow through of the string hand toward the back of my head past my eye. It takes a lot of just shooting, repetitive shooting, to get into your mind what the shot feels like, acts like, and ends like. I hope my answer makes sense. Please forgive the length of explanation. I am sure there are many ways to shoot. Find yours! God bless!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:34 AM

You can anchor just about any where that feels right..... I shoot 3 finders under and anchor my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and my thumb nuckle behind my ear lobe.... Just go out and shoot..... Don't get discouraged....I've been shooting for a little over a month now and I am just now getting fairly consistent out to 15 yds....
Old 05-31-2005, 08:10 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You might pick up a book and/or video--that way you have a referance you can look at over and over. I like Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow" for a good instructional book. It's also a video now, but I haven't seen it yet. I don't agree with everything in it, especially the part about wood arrows, but overall it's a great read--easy to understand, entertaining, and to the point. A good video is Ricky Welch's Instructional Video Volume II.

One thing to remember--the basics are the same for everyone (consistent anchor, release, and follow-through), but other than that there is no one perfect way that will work best for everyone. If you get the book and video I mentioned, you will see that Welch and Ferguson have different techniques, and both are amazing shots. I've seen both of them shoot in person, and it's not camera tricks--these guys are the real deal.

Try different things--use what works, don't worry about what doesn't. Don't expect to be a crack shot at 30 yards in a weeks time--you will be dissapointed. It takes some work and dedication on your part, but I think it's well worth it.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 AM

As Mr. Meogie once said "Focus young Grasshopper" I reinforce LBR's book and video sugestion, there are lots out their, just look in Cabelas bow hunting catiloge.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the information. I geuss just need to shoot and try new ways of shooting.