Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrow Problems

Old 05-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Arrow Problems

Here it is, I havent shot in about 1 week because i have no arrows left. I was shooting 2020 and they were ok, but they are only avalible in the legacy model that easton makes. Well I dont want to spend that much (or should i say cant spend that much $70). I am looking at Camo hunters about $45 a duz. I have been told I should get 2117 or 2216, but the thing is I need to know witch, how do you guys do this. I mean find out the best arrow for your bow. I dont have the funds to buy all kinds of arrows and have them not work. I figure I could go to a shop and test fire some, but most of their arrows have vanes.

Here is what I shoot. 60lds at28 or a little more 28.25, 125 heads or more if anyone thinks it would be better, fast flight, no quiver or silencers, and a brace height of 6 1/4in.

I know this is on here all the time, what i realy want to know is what do you guys do to get set up with new arrows.
Later all and thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Problems

Exactly what bow do you have? Is it a recurve or longbow? (A 6.25" brace ht sounds low, even for a longbow.) Anybody around there (close to you) that might be of help?
Old 05-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, we would proable need a little more info.

But try this link for tuning along with the arrow chart. I have found this chart to be about the best for traditional.

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm

FWIW, personally, I still use Easton Gamegetters (solid green) shafts. I can get the shafts for about $30 a dozen (unfletched).
Old 05-12-2005, 08:47 PM

Thanks guys, but what i ment to ask was what do ya doo when ya get a new bow, how do ya set it up for new arrows. Do ya get a few diffrent sizes and see which will work the best. I already have a few sizes 2117 or 2216, that is what i have been told by the guy who made it. It is a long bow. I know all about the charts that are all over but those charts show ya abou 2 or 3 diffrent sizes, how do ya find which one works the best. I dont want to just guess and get arrows that are not the right ones for my bows.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guss, most charts are overspined. That is why I directed you to one that is more in the ballpark. According to that chart, is shows 2016. I think the arrows that you mentioned, especially 2216 is going to be overspined.

Don't cut your new arrows right away. you can always cut them later. Wait to see if they are underspined. If they are then cut them down in increments. You can also try different weight tips (don't be stuck on one weight, it is less expensive to change tips then change arrows). Going to a heavier weight tip will weaken the spine, lighter tips stiffen the spine. I have a feeling that either a 2016, or a 2018 (in the right lenght and appropriate tips) will work well for your bow. I'd lean more toward the 2018's.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

One more little trick to keep in mind. If you have arrows that are slightly underspined and can't cut them any shorter or go any lighter in tip weight, just start adding strips of tape to your strike plate. Add a strip at a time to build it out until your arrows fly true. Then you can measure what you've got and make a new strike plate that thickness.

It works the opposite way too. If you've got arrows that are slightly overspined and can't go heavier in tip weight, go thinner with the strike plate. Of course, if you've already got a gossamer thin plate, you're in trouble.[&:]