Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New arrows

Old 05-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Default New arrows

I am planning on buying new arrows soon. I am currently shooting Bass Pro Shops Carbon Fury. They weigh 11 gpi. My question is, should I go to a lighter arrow to shoot faster or stay with the heavier arrow for better penetration. I am shooting a Bowtech Justice set at 70# with a 26" draw. Yeah I'm a short armed little bugger. I am currently shooting at 250 fps. The numbers I have come up with puts me shooting around 60 pounds of kinetic energy. I am wanting to have the best speed and penetration I can have out of a 28.5" arrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New arrows

If your looking for good speed and penetration then go with a good carbon arrow in the 7-8 gpi category.You will definately gain some speed with the lighter arrow.
I was also wondering what kinda rest you are using.With a 26 inch draw and a 28.5 inch arrow.Even if you take your Bass Pro Carbon Furys and cut a few inches off the end will give you some extra speed.Leave about an inch in front of the riser.
A lighter arrow will definately give you more speed ,yet a heavier arrow will give you more forgiveness.Go with something in-between and have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:22 PM

O. K. I'm with you on the quality arrows. The 28.5" arrow length is at full draw. I measured to the front side of the riser. Also, I don't think I can go as light as 7 - 8 gpi. My pro shop says 5gr per pound of draw weight. That equals 350gr for me. Is the best I can hope for is to find an arrow that comes up at 250gr and then add my 100gr tips?

Is this correct??

I'm pretty new to this stuff.

All help is appreciated.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to find an arrow in the 380 to 400 grain per inch.This is with your arrow,fletching,nock and tip added weigh.Your right though,a arrow weight of 5 grains per pound would be good start.
If you went with an arrow weight of 8 grains per inch then you would have an arrow weight of 249.Remember this isnt including the insert,nock,fletching and tip,this should put you around 400 grains with a 28.5 inch arrow.
If your looking for all out speed then you want a lighter arrow,keeping in the boundaries of 5 grains per inch.
Im shooting the CX300 with 68 lbs draw and 27 inch arrow and they work great for me.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM

In general, what does the nock, fletches, and inserts weigh? Just a good average that I could use. Also when a manufactuer states a gpi, is that the bare shaft or is that the complete arrow?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also when a manufactuer states a gpi, is that the bare shaft or is that the complete arrow?
That is the bare shaft weight.

The weight of fletching can vary from one brand to another and even within a brand.
The weight of the nock and insert can also vary from one brand to another.

The main thing to be concerned about is the arrow spine shooting a 70lb bow you would be better off looking for an arrow in the 340 spine range but once again that depends on the brand of arrow you are looking at.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Hey guys I'm learning a lot here. O.K. So how do you find the spine for an arrow? Is it on the box or something?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys I'm learning a lot here. O.K. So how do you find the spine for an arrow? Is it on the box or something?
Most arrow companies will have a spine chart for their arrows.

Just look up your draw lenght and weight, where the 2 colums meet will have what spine arrow you need.

Easton and Gold Tip have calucators on their web sites I am not sure about the others tho but they should.

If the charts say you are border line with say a 340 spine then get the next spine up which would be a 300 spine, you are better off being a little on the stiff side than the weak side.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

So far, so good. Hey Extreme, did you notice you said an arrow weighing 380-400 gpi? Duh!!!!! I know what you meant.

I'm confused. Ozark, if your arrow is 28.5" at the front of the riser then your drawlngth is approximately that. Where are you measuring to to get 26"? I don't want to get picky, but almost all bowhunters don't know it but what you all call the front of the riser is really the back. The front is the said facing you at full draw. Doesn't matter. I still don't get the drawlength thing. The numbers don't add up, unless your arrows stick out beyond the riser.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far, so good. Hey Extreme, did you notice you said an arrow weighing 380-400 gpi? Duh!!!!! I know what you meant.
LMAO----So with an arrow weighing say 380 GPI,at 28.5 inches should put him around 10830.
Sorry for the confusion,and thanks for straightening that out for me .

Ozark-----what module are you using on the Justice----it will have a number marked on the side of it------with a 26 inch draw it will be a F5

Quick Reply: New arrows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.