Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

PRO Shop attitudes - justified or not?

Old 05-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Default PRO Shop attitudes - justified or not?

I see a lot of posts on the forums where archers complain about the way they are 'treated' by shops. While I know there are people who run or own shops that don't pass 'personality' tests, sometimes there is a root cause to how they act/react.

Just this past week I had several 'customers' really tick me off. One instance was where the customer, who I'd done several 'favors' for, promised to buy a bow from me. Since he stopped by the shop on my day off and we were closed (I'm open 6 days a week), he wound up driving to another State to purchase a bow that day. Then he brought it to me to get it set up. I lost the bow sale but got the set-up fee. The sad part is that the 2 hour set-up, tuning, instruction fee would have been free if I had sold him the bow.

In another incident, the customer came in looking for information on a product, which he claimed he had been given. When we got back to another part of the store, he mentioned that he didn't get the instructions when he "bought" the product. How should anyone feel when they have proof that they're getting lied to??

Also, about 2-3 times this week (and this happens almost every week) customers told me that they'd been everywhere (usually the Marts and mass merchant stores) and couldn't find what we had in stock. I have to hold my tongue anymore because I used to thank them for considering us last.[&o] Many times they also find that our prices are competitive and, in some cases, lower than those 'big' boys.

When you get these kinds of situations popping up many times a week, it's no wonder some Dealers get an 'attitude'. I'm not saying it's right for them to have an 'attitude', but look at what the Dealers may have to cope with on a weekly basis.

Keep in mind that attitude problems should be considered less problematic than incompetence problems. There is no excuse for an incompetent PRO Shop.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Default RE: PRO Shop attitudes - justified or not?

I totally agree with you, people should treat and do on to others as they feel they should be treated themselves. I have a good repore with my local pro I support his shop even if I can get something cheaper some place else. But on the other hand (don't hold this against me because I don't own a pro shop so I am just giving my opinion) it is a business and unlike say Walmart or a large company like that they can afford to loose a few customers where I know my local pro shop can't. So putting up with crap from customers is somthing that is just there. Its just terrible that you have to put up with people like that when you are actually tring to help more than anything.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:37 PM

That's why that ice cold beer is waiting for you after you close up shop
Old 05-07-2005, 06:26 PM

One instance was where the customer, who I'd done several 'favors' for, promised to buy a bow from me. Since he stopped by the shop on my day off and we were closed (I'm open 6 days a week), he wound up driving to another State to purchase a bow that day. Then he brought it to me to get it set up. I lost the bow sale but got the set-up fee. The sad part is that the 2 hour set-up, tuning, instruction fee would have been free if I had sold him the bow.
Yup.......That would tick me off also.........

Fortunatly most of my customers are very loyal and want the shop to succeed........many go out of there way to pass the word............

But there are always those that will do what your customer did....................

I had a guy shoot bows for two days in my shop...I spent over two hours with him as he picked my brain...........He wanted the Parker pheonix 34. he came back two weeks later with his bass-pro bought parker package[:@]...he saved 19 dollars on it..then asked me to go over the bow to make sure Parker set it up right, they didn't and I had to retune and adjust it and helped him sight it in......After shooting a bit and loving his bow he said goodbye.....I called him to the desk and explained that he owed me X amount of $ for range time and setup fee.............He was actually SHOCKED because I was a PARKER dealer and he didn't think I should charge to set up a Parker bow...........................LOL................. ..

Gotta love retail........
Old 05-07-2005, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

I'm not saying it's right for them to have an 'attitude', but look at what the Dealers may have to cope with on a weekly basis.

Keep in mind that attitude problems should be considered less problematic than incompetence problems. There is no excuse for an incompetent PRO Shop.
First, before I begin, let me say that I ALWAYS check with my pro shop before looking anywhere else. Sometimes he may not have something I want in stock, but he can get it, and usually cheaper than at the "Marts". I would rather support my pro shop any day of the week, and twice on sunday. But, it is a competitive market, and sometimes people are just trying to get the best deal they can, and keep the most in their pocket. Word of mouth is the proshop's best friend, and even though you do have to deal with stupidity, what is a bad attitude going to gain? I understand that you lost a bow sale, but, you DID gain set-up fee. Was this dumb on the part of the customer? IMO, yes, but, is a set-up fee better or worse than no sale at all?

Speaking of incompetent bow shops, we have one of those here as well. This place just wants to make a sale, and they don't care how. I have seen people with a bow that they just can't handle, because it is set up wrong, to long ATA, you know the list better than I do. That infuriates me, because it has left a negative impression of archery in the eyes of that person. I am fortunate enough to have another shop in the area, and I trust this guy with anything. He is great! I get good deals, good equipment, he is honest, and won't sell me something I can't afford just because he wants to make a buck. And because of this, I have sent numerous customers his way, and have detered people from the other shop.

I guess what I am saying is this. I support you proshop guys 100%. I think the major chains have taken the personality out of archery, and are doing us an injustice. Keep in mind that you are in the customer service field, and you are going to get the stupidest people doing the most stupid things imaginable, but, if you get them to come back, and bring a friend, you have done your job.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:42 PM

I bought my first bow last fall from a friend of mine. I took it to a local pro shop before I bought it, I wanted to make sure it would fit me properly. The person at the shop spent at least 2 hours with me setting the bow up and also helping me get started. I now do all my shopping at this shop even if it means spending a few more dollars. I am also thinking of buying a new bow. I know where I'll buy if I do.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:51 PM

I completely agree with you guys, but I have been on both sides. I have had guys at pro-shops treat me like an idiot and try to push products on me that I don't want! Heck, I had one guy at a pro-shop screw up my string and set-up my drop-away the wrong way (this caused the launcher arm to hit my riser and chip the paint) and this bow was just hours old!

I have also had guys that were geniunely great guys (Big John) that will go to any extent to treat the customer as best as they can! After the owner of the shop he worked at closed it down, he tracked me down to tune a bow that I bought there and to tune my buddies for free (my buddy didn't even get his bow there).
Old 05-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len, I know what you are saying. It seems when the little guy starts out he is more personable with his floor traffic. As the business grows, the time to talk and take time with the customer is limited. Often you must hire part time help to do what you once did on you own. It's when the shop gets big that the problems start. Expansion, new products with promises that don't pan out and those 15% of the customers that are just plain jerks. The owner starts to get hard core about things that used to be fun. Prices go up to pay for the expansions and new product lines and some buyers will move on. You have to step back and reevaluate where you want to be. A small shop or go big and have to compete with the rest of the big guys. I like the small mom and pop shops. It's like going to a friend's house or hunting camp when you go to the little guy. Sometimes the regular customer will buy somewhere else, but he always seems to come back to the shop with the service to back the products he sells.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck Magnet- Thanks for the plug. I have worked at several shops, and know well what Len speaks of. As manager of 2 shops I have had to play middle man in disputes in which no-one wins. Thankfully there are customers that genuinely appreciate what the PRO's try to do and convey to them. Lets face the facts, no PRO shop owner or tech worker is in it to get rich. We get "rich" when we see grins on customer faces after fixing some vexing problem.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

The way i look at it ,,"be patient",,in you worst case ever senarios be gald they are there,because there are alot of things you don't know that they can get you out of and fix correctly in a pinch and then giving you a substanial break in the long run.

Quick Reply: PRO Shop attitudes - justified or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.