Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon arrows

Old 05-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default carbon arrows

I just bought a new bow tech Allegiance it fires at 61 lbs the dealer told me to shoot the CX200 a $9 arrow. I just used those judo points tonight and boom the arrow is broke snapped in two and my poin the springs and catchers are long gone. I would hate to switch to allumim because of duribality and speed. But what about the terminator 4560 or the whitetail arrows found at gander mountain? Before that, I had 2 same CX200 split right at the nock part of the arrow. I have no clue what to do, help please. Thank you
Old 05-06-2005, 04:07 PM

Default RE: carbon arrows

I just got some whitetail xp's with my new allegiance and they are bad to thebone!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

You said it go back to allumim. It may drop your speed a little but they will last a ton longer shooting judos.I am a big small game hunter with my bow. I have not found any carbons that hold up to stump shooting.

Every one says carbon are way more durbale. I only see this in target shooting. Most every animal that the arrow did not get a pass though was broaken.Allso if I shoot goffers or any small game they get broaken. At least with the allumim they just bend,but you can reuse them for small game at close range.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't like the idea of shooting aluminum because of durability, but you've broken one carbon arrow in one shot with a judo point and have had two others split... Pardon me for saying so, but you're just dripping with contradiction.

Honestly, the lack of durability of aluminum arrows and carbon arrows' better durability are both overly exaggerated myths. A carbon arrow will be more durable than an aluminum arrow of the same weight but the durability gap decreases significantly when you go to the heavier, thicker walled aluminums. Then, aluminum arrows bend and can be restraightened for continued use. Carbon arrows with even a small crack are worthless except as tomato stakes.

Of course, with heavier arrows, then you get into the speed issue. If you want to shoot the fastest arrow possible then you'll have to stay with carbon. But you will need to find a more durable carbon arrow if you're gonna shoot judos. GoldTip Hunter XT's are a far more durable arrow, about the same straightness specs as the CX200's and considerably less expensive.

The Terminator arrows are not lightweight carbons. They are made from carbon and fiberglass, very durable and fairly hefty. If your draw length is more than 29", I think you'd be better off going to the 6075 size, and they are practically the same weight as XX75 2315's.

If it was me and I was wanting to shoot judo points, then I'd go with a heavy aluminum or, maybe, the Terminators. I do not think carbons will stand up to the battering.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:06 PM

i shoot a mathews lx at 64 pound and shoot the terminators when hunting small game they are very durable untill you hit rocks that is about the only thing that will splinter them. terminaters are heavy but stout and only cost like 450 .i shoot pse 300's for target and hunting deer and hogs