Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Good reason to shoot feathers

Old 05-05-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Good reason to shoot feathers

I dont want to start a war between vane shoters or feather shooters, But Feathers are (MY) best!!! I have been having contact problems with my rest which is hitting the lower left fletch on a 2-1/5 inch 4 fletch enough that it is ruining the fletch in a short while (I,m getting a new rest) The old rest is a fall a way type and the arm hangs up. Even though the feathers are taking a beating Im still pretty accurate (299-39Xs) The forgivness of fathers far outweighs any problems they may have. Like, they take longer to fletch, they dont like rain, they dont like being hit by other arrows. But even when they look like drowned rat they are still pretty accurate.. I vote for feathers. Whats your vote??? GGBH
Old 05-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good reason to shoot feathers

I can shoot pretty much just as accurate with vanes as feathers on my compound. So I'll stick with vanes there.

Longbow - different story, I have to use feathers because of shelf contact.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with bobco
Old 05-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bobco and hoyt3. I've considered feathers, but from what I have read, I don't know that it makes that much of a difference out to 40yds, the longest distance that I would consider a shot.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:52 AM

They both have their place - but I choose Feathers
Old 05-05-2005, 02:57 PM

I agree both have their places. I personally love feathers for hunting. I have debated with several about this, but I still shoot them. What I can say is everyone should find out for themselves on this. There is always a different approach to things, especially in archery, and my thoughts are you just need to try as many as you can. I shot vanes for years and then tried feathers last year, and I am sold. My quiver this year will prolly be 3 arrows with 4" feathers and one with Blazer vanes, in case I get caught in a downpour. As has been stated before, it is amazing what a Ziplock can do to help feathers.

Try them all,
JMAC
Old 05-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

The day birds start wearing plastic feathers is the day I'll switch to vanes. Not before.[8D]

Really, I've used vanes in the past and I might use them again at some point in the future, but when you add up the plusses and minuses with feathers and vanes... feathers are far superior in every category but one. Vanes are completely waterproof and you can only make feathers water resistant. Vanes used to be cheaper than feathers too but, while it's still true in most cases, it doesn't apply across the board any longer.

I've got dozens of arrows taking up various corners of the house. If you were to go through all of them, you might find 5 or 6 old forgotten ones that are wearing plastic instead of feathers.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Have been a feather shooter for a many years but Like you said they do not like rain , make a lot of noise when they hit or rub against something while walking in to the woods , so I made the switch to the new 2" Blazers and love them 1 vote for vanes
Old 05-30-2005, 10:39 AM

I love my Blazer vanes but just fletched up two arrows this morning with 4" feathers. The glue is now dry and I'm heading out to shoot them in the rain.

Not a fair test you say?? Shooting them for the first time in the rain?? Well, I wouldn't stop shooting the Blazers in the rain.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:09 AM

Vanes are just fine, as long as your not shooting in a demanding situation. If I'm shooting a fixed blade broadhead in windy conditions, along with some heavy cover, I'll take feathers everytime, even in the rain. If I'm shooting field tips, heck I almost don't even need fletching.

Quick Reply: Good reason to shoot feathers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.