Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 09-17-2002, 09:14 PM

Default RE: Steelheads grouping problems

if you are right at 40yds and left at 20yrds i'd guess you have a tuning problem. that little bit of blades are steering the front of the arrow.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you also have a tuning problem. Heck I have not shot a steelhead that didn't group with field points. It's hard to say without actually looking at your equipment though. Are your broadhead tipped arrows straight? I know it sounds like a simple question, but you may have to bad arrows.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-18-2002, 07:39 AM

Biggunz,
You must have misread his original post. He said he was hitting 6" left at 40 and 3" left at 20. Just thought I would clear things up.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:33 PM

If your bow is tuned {center shot}. I will put money on it that it is your rest. Those wisker basket rests aren't very good when it comes to strait arrow flight. Once your arrow is released and slightly touches something in flight,unless your centershot is perfect those wisker basket rests will make eratic arrow flight. you may not notice it with field points but you will find out when you put a fixed blade broadhead or even a mechanical head on.

"Give me spring turkey season or give me death"

Old 09-21-2002, 06:33 PM

If your bow is tuned {center shot}. I will put money on it that it is your rest. Those wisker basket rests aren't very good when it comes to strait arrow flight. Once your arrow is released and slightly touches something in flight,unless your centershot is perfect those wisker basket rests will make eratic arrow flight. you may not notice it with field points but you will find out when you put a fixed blade broadhead or even a mechanical head on.

"Give me spring turkey season or give me death"

Old 09-21-2002, 09:44 PM

Why not move the rest to the right a 1/16" at a time till your broadheads are hitting right on. I know your field tips will not group with the broad heads but if you are going hunting soon it is the fastest and cheapest way to get the broadheads tuned.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have never had a Steelhead shoot funny. Do you have a friend that can shoot your Steelheads to rule them out?

Old 09-22-2002, 06:05 PM

I had the same problem, but my groups were good at 20 yards and at 30 yards they went to the left about 4 inches. I use a center shot gauge and my center shot was right on, so I moved my shoot through rest to the right about 1/4 inch and my groups were good at 20 to 35 yards. My paper tune are now bullet holes and the bow is more accurate.
I've noticed that sometimes you have to move the rest off center to micro tune.
Before buying a new rest, move the rest in about 1/4 inch, adjust your sights and see what happens. Get your steel heads on target then try your field points, sometimes by doing this your field points will hit where the steel heads hit.
If this doesn't work, then It's probably your rest.

Old 09-22-2002, 07:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]