Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bent axle = Bang head here

Old 04-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bent axle = Bang head here

I just found I have a bent axle on my single cam PSE.

I was testing a few new individual arrows for spine match and speed, and I found that something big had changed since last Fall. I had this big right tear, like 2 inches, even with the arrows that gave me bullet holes last year. [:@]

I had tried heavier points, bought lighter spined arrows, used 5 inch helical feathers, moved my rest, tried to grip to bow differently to make sure I had eliminated torque, and the best I could do was a 1 inch tear after all that playing.

Since I like fixed-blade broadheads, I knew I was going to have all kinds of problems if I couldn't get this corrected.
I was almost ready to throw the bow away and start over.

Then, the other day, I was reading another post on here, and somebody suggested that somebody check their axles and cams to make sure nothing was bent. Well, since I had never dropped my bow, or lent it to anyone, I didn't think this could be my problem, but still, I wan't to eliminate the posibility.

What I found was not easy to see, and barely detectable even once I got the axle out.
It was such a minor bend, I just about haad to roll it on a flat surface to confirm it.
I replaced the axle pin, and my 1 inch tear went to an almost-perfect bullet hole with no other adjustments.
Now I can finally order my arrows and assemble them in time to get some 3-D done this year.
YAHOO! (not the website, the exclamation)

I started thinking about how it could have gotten bent. I take good care of my stuff, so I was really confused.
Then I remembered a particularly breezy day at the end of last season in January. I was trying out a new bow-holder device that clamps to the floor of your treestand. My single cam bow didn't fit in it very well, and it had to go in on a slight angle to avoid hitting the center mounting bolt, but still ended up leaning against the bolt slightly. I guess that's what did it. I remember at least one time that I felt the need to grab my bow to keep it from falling.

MORALS OF THE STORY:
1. Check your tune periodically, not just when you change something.
It turns out things can change very quietly on their own without being immediately noticable.
I still had 3-4 inch groups at 20 yards with field points. Nothing to jump up and down about,
but OK if that's all the further I was going to shoot.

2. Check your setup with broadheads long before the season starts.
I could have been wrestling with this in late September if I just assumed averything was OK,
and then found out when my first broadhead hit 9 inches off my point of aim. God forbid, that shot be at an animal.

3. Check this website, when something isn't right.
Lots of good info here, and good people willing to spend a minute to share what they have learned.
Thanks to everybody out there that bothers to help somebody they don't even know.

-Bulz
Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bent axle = Bang head here

(man sitting in front ot screen nodding his head because he agrees, because he has been reminded and because he counts himself among the fortunate for finding this site.)

Good post Bulz!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now aren't you glad you never threw that bow away.

nubo
Old 04-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure am glad I didn't give up.
It really was a good learning experience, plus it gave me a good excuse to buy a portable bowpress.

I was starting to lose confidence in my ability to diagnose and correct problems, but now I know I can handle it.