Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? on turning up/down strings for Allegiance

Old 04-23-2005, 04:58 AM

Default ? on turning up/down strings for Allegiance

I need help so I can better understand about cam timing and adjusting of the strings, can someone please help me?

My problem is my bow strings are pretty much broken in and notice also my draw weight has dropped about 5#, cams are not in the same place where it was when I got the bow, don't worry it has the marking from the factory and I also marked it my own way, now I have a few questions and I need your help on this one because the Binary cam is new to me.

Do I turn the cables to get back the draw weight, cause when I did that the cams went out of tune even more, or do you turn one cable only? the only other way I see is to turn the string shorter to bring back the cam to it's mark and if I do this or after I do this, do I also check the AtA and brace height and make sure it's exactly the correct mesurement?

would shortening the bow string make my draw length shorter and affect the AtA cause I'm assuming I should turn it also because it stretched too.

well anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated because I can't go to any pro shop around here we archers just do things for ourselves.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:19 AM

Default RE: ? on turning up/down strings for Allegiance

first, i don't have an allegiance so i have no advice there.

in your owners manual there is a warning about twisting your cables. something like 'no more than 3' or it could lock at full draw. something about the 'e' cams. thats why i would take it to a bowtech tech and have them do it, and watch, and have them explain the ins and outs of adjusting the e-cams. plus, if it locks you'll already be there.

if you twist your cables and it goes the wrong way, how about twistng the string?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Twisting the string and cables on the E cam bows is not the same as with past bows. Improperly done, let off and valley can be changed, with undesirable results. It would be best to have someone with experience do it for you.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:23 AM

If you've lost draw weight, your cables have stretched. If the timing marks say that you need to twist the string and you've lost weight, you need to twist up the cables AND the string If you've gained weight, your string has stretched..
Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 PM

Thanks guys but I do really like to bring it to the tech guys it's just that I'm so far away from the U.S. and I waited too, too long for this bow to be sent back, I do understand and respect your concerns, but , I think I'll go with WWAG's theory it sounds right and I will take ever precautions, like one twist at a time.

Oh! one more thing, do I have to be really exact on AtA and brace height or just ballpark?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:32 PM

My Allegiance came in at about 1/8 inch under the stated brace height and a bit long ATA but it was 61.4 pounds peak draw weight. You can do it, just take your time and be carefull
Old 04-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Hey WWAG I got the bow to the correct AtA, cam timing back to specs but the draw weight is still down, what gives??[:@]maybe the limbs got a little weak??

thanks buddy..
Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The cables have most likely stretched. You can gain poundage by twisting them. But be aware that it will also change draw length, and may change let off on your bow. Check the length of cables and string on your bow. Twist them to the correct length. That should get you very close. It's best to set the draw stop toward the "S", initially. That will help avoid lock up should you make a mistake. Then move it incrementally to the correct setting. Like I said above, these bows do not react to twisting like other cam systems.