Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Different arrows

Old 04-20-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Different arrows

Hey there I have some technical questions for you all. I recently purchased a set of the new carbon express maximas 250. I am shooting a mathews switchback with the drop away. 70 lbs. 27 inch draw and 80% let off. 28 inch arrows.

I think these are doing more harm than good. If I fingered this right these are about 4.7057 grains per pound.

I know that Mathews recommends that their bow shoots at least 5.5 grains per inch at 70 lbs.

Is this not good or am I just paranoid? Also I have noticed that the shooting process seems to me to be louder, however standing next to the dealer who sold me the gear, he says it sounds as it should.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Different arrows

I'm afraid that the 5.5 gr that Mathew's is talking about is at the very least you can shoot this bow without voiding your warranty ,but this is definetly not recommended. If I were you I'd be looking at arrow's that should be near 9.0 gpi .I'm sure your shooting might be a little eratic with arrow's this light in spline ,but if you choose a stiffer spline I'm sure your shooting will improve and this will also get you out of the danger zone .

nubo
Old 04-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check on www.bowjakson.com. I believe the shart you need to see is listed under the article about Kinetic Energy. What you are looking for is the AMO Minimum Arrow Weight Chart.

The 5gr/lb is accepterd by most but is not really an absolute. It can vary accroding to draw;ength, too, which most guys don't understand. It come down to how much stress is put on the system. Longer draws store the most energy and put more stress on the system. Short draw guys don't need to get all stressed out over it. You're close to 5gr/lb. Void your warranty?? Big question. Who's going to know unless you're dumb enough to tell someone.

That being said, if you are going to use this setup for hunting I would get some heavier arrows just for the sake of making the bow a bit more quiet. You'll lose some speed, but quiet is more important in the deer woods.

Of course there is another option that is a lot eaier and cheaper. Just turn the weight down a few pounds. There is no written rule that says you have to shoot 70# just because the bow is rated for it. There isn't a deer walking the planet that even knows whether an arrow is launched from a 70 pounder or a 50 pounder. When the arrow is in the ground after a passthrough the results are the same. The only thing that makes a difference is your testosterone level----and your shoulders about 20 years from now.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say something but nubo and BGFisher didn't leave anything to say. [>:]
Old 04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Have you actually weighed the arrows? How did you arrive at the 4.7057 gr/lb?

Here's what I get.. but it also depends one what components your arrows have.

28" x 7.3gpi = 204.4
insert = 11
nock 13
point 100
vanes 24
Total 352gr

which equates to 5.029 gr/lb... Which is right at the IBO standard. Yes you can go heavier.. but I really wouldn't worry about that too much. I'd be more concerned about the spine being too weak.. With your poundage I'd think you'd want the 350s... which would also bring your total arrow weight up around 400gr or so.