Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

torque on grip

Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 AM

Default torque on grip

How do you guys reduce/eliminate any torque you create at the grip? or any torque anywhere else.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: torque on grip

This is an excelent question . Adjusting between , a high , low or mid grip will change the way you toqure your bow . Aftermarket grips allso change this , and the way you grip/ hold the bow . Some take their grips off , and that changes things . There are many things to try .Variations in draw length will affect this allso .
Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I lot has to do with the type of grip on the bow as well as how you are holding the bow. You always have to keep a loose grip so that the bow always goes into the same position. A tighter grip will usually create torque problems. Personally, I like a flat slick type of grip. One that will not create any type of friction. I don't like anything plastic, rubber, or wood with any type of checkering. Sometimes. I'd rather shoot right off the back of the riser. Loesch made a no-torque grip that is made for some bows which I like a lot, as well as most of his other grips. Another thing that helps prevent torque is wearing a silk glove liner. The silk is much slicker then a bare hand.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 AM

I haev a hoyt ultra mag with factory grip, is this a good grip or no? I guess i don't really understand what grip torque is and how it effects your shooting, can someone exlpain?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing that would help you with hand torque is a no-peep. When you set it up if you torque or hold the bow different than it was setup for you will see it in the no-peep but you must also anchor the same and the no-peep will show any changes. I have one on my bow and love it.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess i don't really understand what grip torque is and how it effects your shooting, can someone exlpain?
Check out this article, especially page 2.

http://sssharchery.com/user/521HorzCen.PDF#search='what%20is%20torquing%20the% 20bow'
Old 04-20-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt bows, for me, come with excellent grips.

Torque on the grip basically puts side pressure on it so that the bow is not perfectly aligned with the string, so you end up actually pushing the arrow across the rest, not along the rest, if that make sense.

Best thing to reduce torque is to not grab the bow, let it sit dead in your hand on the meaty part just to the hand side of your thumb joint, basically between the life line and thumb.

--Bob
Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

They should rename the grip the hand anchor or handle something other than grip. I don't know how many shooters I have corrected over the years thinking that the grip was what you had to do. Many new bow manufacturers are now designing their risers with little or no wood on the grip area. The Hoyt Tec series have small wooden plates on the sides for aesthetic value only reducing the area at the grip to help correct the torque problems.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a good tutorial on www.bowsite.com that covers how to "grip" a bow. It's in the "Faetures", Practical Bowhunting section. Has pictures and everything.

I think I have to make a comment about the No-Peep. The No-Peep does not help you not torque a bow due to a tight grip. All it does is show whether you are torquing, or not anchoring right. If you are gripping a bow and the No-Peep doesn't line up you can just add more torque to align the No-Peep so the circles line up. It doesn nothing to reduce the torque itself.

And rest assured, if your hand contacts the bow there is always going to be a certin amount of torque involved. The idea is to eliminate as much as possible and be very very consistent.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

i had a big problem with this. I don't know if there is one good solid answer. the guy who set me up in san diego had me go to a more relaxed grip (which helped) and a level. My pro shop now finds the level concept a bit strange, but it works. I have tried to shoot without the level, and I am much less accurate. It takes longer to shoot with the level , but I am much more accurate and confident.