Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Goat Tuff glue not sticking

Old 04-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Goat Tuff glue not sticking

I cannot get the Bohning Fletch-Tite vanes to stick to my Easton A/C/C arrows using Goat Tuff glue. I heard to use acetone, but I also heard it hurts the arrow. Is there any way to get them to stick? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Goat Tuff glue not sticking

Acetone is sure one way people do it and it is what Carbon Tech recomends. Than and isoproypel Alcohol...

Or you can use wraps as fletching sticks to that way better than arrow shaft...

Others just clean the shaft real good with warm soapy water to try to get all the grease and oil off of it... I have never had trouble with getting fletching to stick so I have never had to resort to this... Of course, I haven't fletched more than 3 dozen arrows either so my time will come, of that I am sure.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Denatured alcohol is better than isopropyl. You sure don't want to use rubbing alcohol! It's got oil in it.

I've heard the same about acetone, that it'll eat up carbon arrows. I don't know if there's any truth to it. I wouldn't soak them overnight in the stuff, but I don't see how a wipedown with acetone will affect them in any way.

If you're really having problems with glue sticking, then try cleaning the shafts off and letting them dry overnight before fletching. That way you'll be sure that all the solvent has evaporated out of the carbon's pores.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:36 AM

I lightly sand the last 6" of my carbon arrows, then wipe with isopropal. I use goat tuff and plastifletch elite without any issues.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 AM

I rember hearing the same thing about acetone - it can eat away at the resin in the carbon arrows.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

I've had trouble with Acetone and alcohol. I just wipe them down with soap and water and let dry. Then I dampen them with a little water and the Goat Tuff works great. Super glues create a bond by displacing moisture, hence if you have a little moisture on the arrow it should stick better. But, too much moisture will cause just the opposite. I just take a damp rag and wipe them down then dry them off with a clean rag. You can't even tell the shaft has any moisture on it. I've also had trouble with it sticking when the humidity is high. Also, as said above, I've had better luck with Goat Tuff when using wraps. But, then also, I've had some wraps work better than others. I tried some Backland wraps that the GT didn't adhere to worth a darn, but the last set of EZE Crests worked like a charm.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

I never tried Goat Tuff, but just recently went to Fletchtite Platinum. Not much higher than regular Fletchtite and lots cheaper than Goat Tuff. So far it works relatively fast and holds strong.

One tip....some times it helps to wipe the vane base.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing to try is to scrub the back of the arrow with baking soda and water before glueing .
Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using Pine Ridge Instant Arrow Glue and I am very satisfied.
No need to clean shafts either--this glue work and works well.