Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadheads fly low...please explain.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Default broadheads fly low...please explain.

So..... I'm shooting this new set-up, from bow to arrows. (see my signature.)

I put 125 grain field points on the arrows and they group right with the 100 grain field points. The bow was just tuned at the shop that I bought it, I couldn't have been happier with the accuracy.

Until today.

I'm getting two inch groups at 20 yards with the field points. I put on a 125 grain Muzzy broadhead with the practice blades and it hits 6" straight below my field points. No left or right, but straight below my target group about 6".

I don't understand this. Same weight, but you can see the arrow take a dive about halfway to the target.

Please help!!

Thanks, Kev
Old 04-14-2005, 04:54 PM

Default RE: broadheads fly low...please explain.

Your bow may not be tuned for broadheads. Download Easton's Tuning Guide at Eastonarchery.com Are you shooting helical vanes?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you nock set is just a bit high. Loosen your set just enough that you can turn it on the serving like a nut on a bolt. Give it one full turn down that try your field tip and broadhead. Your are very close to a near perfect tune. Be patient and turn your nock set in small increments until they are identical on impact.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 04-15-2005, 06:47 AM

THANK YOU! I will try that as soon as I get home today. (All three)
Old 04-15-2005, 06:54 AM

Zak123,

Yes, 4" helical vanes.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on how much you have to move the nock, I would recommend moving the rest up. When you move the nock you also change the distance from the nock to the peep, or kisser. This will require a change in your anchor as well to still see through the peep or line up the kisser. Move the rest if you can and if the move is small. 6 inches at 20 yards will require a fairly decent sized move though.

Second option/thought, you could be picking up some rest/fletch contact, this would kick the tail up and drive a BH arrow down.

--Bob
Old 04-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had this same issue last summer using the NAP Crossfire heads with quickspins. With just feathers it was not as bad but still there. I switched broadheads (Rocky Mountain) and problem went away. Still do not know why the Crossfire would not shoot for me. Even the pro shop was surprised. Just one of those things I guess.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:53 PM

You guys are great

I ended up moving my rest. About 3/16 of an inch up on the sight, and I got the two hitting within about 2" of each other. That's close enough for me. Before I hunt, I'll adjust the sights for the 2".

Thanks again, Kev
Old 04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mainehunt

You guys are great

I ended up moving my rest. About 3/16 of an inch up on the sight, and I got the two hitting within about 2" of each other. That's close enough for me. Before I hunt, I'll adjust the sights for the 2".

Thanks again, Kev

No such thing as close enough. Keep playing with it till you get it right. That's what bow tuning is about. And if you want to know why then I suggest you shoot some shots at 30 and 40 yards to see what kind of difference you have. The farther you shoot the worse it will get. Keep playing with it. The other benefit is that you are learning, too.