Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Penetration: shaft diameter vs. weight

Old 04-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Penetration: shaft diameter vs. weight

I'm not an expert on carbon by any means and gave them up before the new finishes were put on. But with the finish that I was using on carbon (3d selects), it seemed as though the carbon would produce a lot more friction on the shaft when entering a target or game then an aluminum. Especially if the aluminum was good and clean. I still wax my aluminums before hunting. Another trade off I guess.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think diameter has as much effect on animals as on targets, with the animal, the BH has cut "flaps" into the skin, with targets, the stop by squeezing the arrow so bigger diameter is easier to squeeze, on an animal the "flaps" will easily move out of the way.

On animals, there is some "lube" once the blood and other body juices are there and this will cut down the friction some.

Will it make a differnece, maybe, but not very much.

KE vs Momentum? I will take Momentum any time. Momentum is basically a measure of an objects resistance to obstacles effecting its speed. The more momentum to more it tries to push on through whatever it hits.

KE is energy, its a great bullet measurement because you want the bullet to release all this energy into the animal. Arrows you want it to push on through, the reason we use SHARP BH is that we don't want it to stop we want it to slice right through easily.

Now in reality, both KE and Momentum are a factor of speed and weight so they are somewhat tied together. KE is just more dependant on speed than Momentum is.

Traditional shooters shoot big heavy slow arrows, they blow right through game with low KE but high Momentum.

Dangerous game requires BIG arrows, some 1000gr or more. This is to raise Momentum.

Second "reality" dose is that east of the rockies, if you ignore moose, if you are shooting a 40+ lb bow, you have enough of both.

--Bob
Old 04-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm, Maybe those new ACC Super Slims are worth a look.
I've been thinking the same thing, Swamp Dawg, but my wallet gets a bellyache every time the thought crosses my mind. It reminds me that 2216's are lots cheaper.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:58 AM

I agree with those who say weight is more important than diameter. I would also add that blade sharpness and design are more important than diameter and probably more important than weight.

Personally, I don't worry at all about K.E. or shaft diameter, little about momentum, but a whole lot about broadhead sharpness. It is also more important to worry about things like spine and FOC, than to than to get too concerned with your K.E., momentum or shaft diameter. My opinion would change a bit if you were shooting a very low draw weight or hunting very large big game animals. However, for the average guy hunting mid sized big game, those factors mean very little in comparison with the others I mentioned.