Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

dissapointed with my arrow weight

Old 04-10-2005, 06:17 PM

Default dissapointed with my arrow weight

I got my bow all set up, tuned, and sighted in. Shoots fantastic, I'm getting tiny groups at 20 yards. It's a blast to have the confidence to hit an inch and a half bullseye at 20 yds.

My problem is this. Now that my arrows are cut, nocks and inserts are installed, with 100 grain field points, I put one on the scales and they only weigh 390 grains.

Isn't this too light? I always see stuff about a 400 grain minimum......?????
Old 04-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: dissapointed with my arrow weight

In my opinion that is on the light side. For deer inside 30 yards, I would say they are good enough. How is the spine on the arrows? If you could use them a little weaker, you could always go to 125 grain heads.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:58 PM

Mine are 340 grains with 75 grain points and I am very happy with them. I shoot right at IBO weight and my arrows bury every bit as far into targets if not deeper than my friend with much heavier arrows. Speed and KE go hand in hand, a heavier arrow will slow down much faster therefore losing KE much faster. Was it huntersfriend.com that explained it very well, somebody help I saw it on here.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:19 PM

I put one on the scales and they only weigh 390 grains.
[][][]

I would be looking for a way to cut them down another 3 inches

IMO you are fine for deer
Old 04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

You should be fine, but you didn't give your draw length, arrow length and draw weight.

Speed and KE go hand in hand, a heavier arrow will slow down much faster therefore losing KE much faster.
Thats wrong. Although a heavier arrow will not shoot as flat at longer distances simply because it is not traveling as fast initially, the lighter faster arrow slows down faster at longer distances, therefore losing momentem and more initial energy is lost.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 AM

Cougarmag,
(At my signature)

70# draw weight
30 3/4" arrows
30" draw length

I will try the 125 grain heads. I have nothing against adding weight to the arrows, but the way I have it set up right now, it is the most accurate bow I've ever had. Shooting yesterday, I was consistantly hitting an inch and a half bullseye at 20 yards. I realize that this wouldn't be that great of news to you all on here, but evry time I hit that mark yesterday, I was laughing out loud to myself. (my wife thinks I'm going crazy, but who cares, I was having a blast!)

These carbon express arrows are light, even for carbon arrows, (7.8 grains per inch) but like I got a dozen of them for free with the purchase of the bow. Who's going to turn that down?!

I am setting this up for an upcoming boar hunt in July. The guide says the farthest shot from the 12' tree stands will be 20 yards.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

You can purchase wieght tubes for the carbon express CX arrows they come in 2gr per inch and 3gr per inch They cost around $10-$15 a dozen I payed $9.99 for each at eagle archery. I ordered both the other day and when they come in I am going to take 3 arrows to the bowshop and shot one arrow standard and the other two with the different weight tubes installed juist to see which gives me the most KE and momentum combination. I have to say my Allegaince is shooting awesome right now that bow feels like it was made for me and I have bought several different bows over the past 3 or 4 years and have on had only two other bows that have felt this way a Reflex xpress solo cam and a Pro38 dual cam.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 AM

Bigcountry,
I would love to hear from you about how your test works out. I didn't know that Carbon Express had such things for making the arrows heavier.

Are you concerned about changing the trajectory with the added weight? I'm just wondering how much more the arrow will drop, at say 30 yards or so.

What are the inserts made of??

Thanks, Kev
Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have used them before and tubes just look to me to made out of plastic the red ones are 2gr\in and the yellow are 3gr\in they are as big around as the inside of the shaft and are hollow. The nock and insert holds them in place all you have to do to install them is pull the nock off and cut the tube long enough that the nock will make a tight fit. Yes I am sure it will change my impact points down range but thats way the make the sites adjustable. And I am sure it will change my tune from what it is now FOC will change and spine will change also, but if you decide what arrow is best for you as far as KE and Momentum are consered just change to the one you like the most and see if it will paper and group tune good and your all done. I don't think I will change the tune very much. I hope to get the tubes in this week and I will test them out and let you know.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 AM

If you are shooting that well, don't change a thing. You will kill a deer from a treestand with that setup, if you do your part. If you want to play around with adding weight, try weed-eater string. It is much cheaper than the weight tubes. If I remember correctly, I added about 25 grains/string (approx 25" long), and I could fit 3, maybe 4 strings into my GT 5575. Keep having fun!!!

Good luck,
JMAC

Quick Reply: dissapointed with my arrow weight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.