Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tear right again!!! %@IT!

Old 04-10-2005, 12:52 PM

Default tear right again!!! %@IT!

Trying to tune my BT Allegiance I'm constantly getting right tears. After many arrows shot through paper moving the rest very minutely to the left and right with no change, always tear right no less than 1 1/2 inches I've decieded my arrows must be to stiff. Heres my set up. Alleg. 70# 29" draw, MZE, 26" easton carbon evolution shafts,100 grain tips, Tru nok and a no peep. anyone else ever experiance this problem. I'm shooting thru the paper at a distance of 6 feet. If I don't solve this soon I'll go bald. thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 12:57 PM

Default RE: tear right again!!! %@IT!

Your arrows should be stiff. Don't move the arrow rest to get the bow to shot through paper. This is wrong. You can increase draw weight, point weight, shot longer arrows, or weaker arrows. Moving the arrow rest is a band-aid. Fix the spine problem and be done with it.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree (at least somewhat) with ewolf. Adjust your rest back to center and then change to 125 gn tips and see what happens. If the tear gets better, you know your arrows are too stiff. Sounds like you're already pretty close to max on draw weight, so if the heavier tips don't fix it, you'll have to get different arrows. If it gets worse, you know your spine is too weak. If it's too weak, change to to lighter tips and/or reduce draw weight.

Also remember that paper tuning is as much a test of your shooting form as it is of bow tune. If you're torquing your grip, you'll never get a good hole in the paper.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the exact same problem. In fact I moved my rest left until it was way out of center and then had perfect bullet holes. After consulting folks here (Thanks Gibblet) I realized I was torqing the bow. I removed the grip plates on my Reflex Grizzly and "Voila" perfect bullet holes and perfect center shot. I have small hands and the grip was too large. I now need to rig up a set of grips, right now I just taped it up with electrical tape but it shots great.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Have a friend try it, and see if the tear changes, indicating torque. Also, try a few 125 tips as mentioned above.

Terry M, just throw some mohair around the riser and shoot. I did this to my Patriot and love it. Torque free.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:22 PM

I have the same problem with you with my allegiance, the first thing i did is put my nock at 90 degrees and then center shot at about 7/8 to 15/16 from inside the riser. This way my tear was a lot better but the best thing i did is i took off my grips and put sideplates and with my all arrows i have bullets holes.