Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton Axis's S/T's 340's

Old 04-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Easton Axis's S/T's 340's

I'm just wondering if these arrow's are too stiff in Spline for my setup .

I'm shooting a BowTech 60# Patriot Dually
28" draw length with a 28" arrow length
I've been told at my hop that these arrow's are too stiff for me ,I feel they're wrong ,but I'd like to know how everyone else feel's about this .

Are the Easton S/T Axis's 340's too stiff or are they O.K
These arrow's are 9.5 gr per inch,the whole arrow wiegh's 412gr including the tip's. My F.O.C. is about 10%

Thank's everyone

nubo
Old 04-10-2005, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Easton Axis's S/T's 340's

I think the 400's may be a better fit, but I don't think you should have any problems shooting the 340's. I would rather be a little on the stiff side instead of being underspined.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why did it come up in the first place? Just read something last night that gave an extreme. It was a 3" rule. When paper tuning, a tear over 3"'s in either direction indicated a spine problem.

Here's part of the guide.

"Spine Assessment

If the arrow comes out of the bow with a large amount of rotation (very weak/stiff arrow) then you will get a very wide horizontal tear in the paper, the combination of the arrow vibration and its rotation. If this tear is too big its unlikely that any amount of bow tinkering or tuning will produce a good flying arrow and the arrow needs to be changed or replaced. Rick Stonebraker's tuning guide puts the maximum allowable horizontal tear at 3 inches. Any larger then this then a weaker/stiffer arrow as appropriate is required."
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

John, the spine calculation for your configuration is on the stiffer side of the scale. Respective to your draw weight and set up, this arrow will be right in the middle of the spine scale with a draw weigth of about 66# ~ 67#.
In other words your draw weight for this arrow is about 6# ~ 7# too light, but I don't see this being a problem--better to be on the stiffer side.
At the bow you should be getting about 267 fts with a KE of about 65#--out to 60-70 yards the KE looks like about 50, certainly enough to do the damage.
You really don't need to change your arrow--can't see why someone would make a big deal about your set-up.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

nubo,
My Dually seems to like a bit stiffer shaft, I notice a diff. just playing around with diff bh weights. Shoot what the bow likes.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

I've got some 340 Axis arrows, and I shoot them anywhere from 60-65 lbs. and they do ok. I am getting ready to order some new arrows........Beman's in the 400 spine in either the Black Max or Max-4 which is camo. Both are heavier than the Easton Axis in the black finish. Don't know how true it is, but Beman is advertising their line as having .003 straightness while even the 2005 Axis is advertised by Easton as being .005.

By the way.....I am going to shoot my 400s anywhere from 65-67 lbs. this season.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I find these arrow's to shoot very well ,despite the shops view of my arrow choice ,I'm going to buy some ACC super slim's in 500 spline and give them a try as well .But I must say that the AXis's shoot better than any arrow I've chosen in the past .I'm very pleased with them .This shop told me last year that I should be shooting the Gold Tip's 3555's 3 D pro's but my accuracy with those shaft's were all over the place ,and now they're telling me that my Axis/s are to stiff in spline .I just think that it really bother's them that i buy from other's just because I'm starting to feel their advice is misguiding me .

Gromage! I think I have to agree with you on this because as I said I'm shooting much better with these shaft's than other's I've used in the past ,I'm sure I've been under splined on every arrow I've used until now .

nubo
Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 AM

that's what i get at one of the shops too nubo. 'you don't need those 75/95's. they're too heavy, slow you down, blah, blah, blah, blah.'
Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to buy some ACC super slim's in 500 spline
John.

Hate to bust ya bubble but 500 spine is gonna be way under spined for your set up.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM

John.

Hate to bust ya bubble but 500 spine is gonna be way under spined for your set up.
I agree. 400's would be a better fit, IMO.

Quick Reply: Easton Axis's S/T's 340's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.