Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Reflex vs. Deflex -- What is a good compromise?

Old 04-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Reflex vs. Deflex -- What is a good compromise?

TerryM I shoot a Protec. I love it, it did take a while to get it in time, and too full let off. However, it is a shooter. I had a constitution, it was a good bow design, but wasn't near the shooter the hoyt is. This is simply speculation, but I believe the Hoyt is the most accurate bow made today. I have 3000 limbs on mine, and I can still hit 290 with target arrows, the little less speed is worth it in terms of accuracy.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with ewolf,the Protec I have is the best shooting bow I have shot to date.

I would like to have one with the xt1000 limbs for hunting but I am not paying custom shop prices to get one.It would take some of the a-a away but it would still be more forgiving than 90% of the bows on the market today.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just for kicks, I measured my Darton Tundra today. AFAICT, the limb pivots are 1 1/8" ahead of the low point of the grip. It should have a reflex of 1 1/8". Still a great shooting bow, however. Nice compromise between the low recoil, VFT bows, and the deflexed ones.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:00 PM

Man I'm glad I shoot a Protec!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TerryM

That's why I shot a protec.
I am seriously thinking of putting a Protec ( spiral or not , not sure yet) on the short list for my next bow purchase. At first I thought of going for a fast bow like an allegiance now I'm not so sure.
I highly recommend them. The protec that is.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ewolf

TerryM I shot a Protec.
Hey ewolf, I'm no one to correct spelling. I thank God for a spell checker. Sometimes and this is one of them, they let me (in this case you) down.

It's shoot, not shot.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:39 PM

nodog, I didn't speel nothing wrong what are you talking about. Editing my quotes so I look like an idiot, how dare you.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ewolf

nodog, I didn't speel nothing wrong what are you talking about. Editing my quotes so I look like an idiot, how dare you.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Protec for 3-D , great bow. I liked it so much I bought another in camo. That bow is a tack driver with broadheads. I am getting 256 fps with a 518 grain arrow and the arrow will hit the hair I am aiming at. Plenty fast for shots under 20 yards. Or even over .
Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 PM

I beleive we started seeing more reflexed risers when the bows started getting shorter and shorter. Then there came the parallel limb design and still more reflex was designed in to keep brace heights to acceptable levels and still provide great speeds. It's what is selling to the masses today for generally one purpose,, hunting. In bowhunting, where most shots are taken from a tree stand or ground blind, the ranges are short and "personal". My longest shot ever at a deer was 28 yards and my closest has been 3 feet from the base of my tree. Do I need a long ATA bow with a deflex riser for these shots?? NO WAY My newest hunting bow, the Allegiance has close to 3 inches of reflex in the riser but I can still shoot 4 inch groups at 50 yards with it. Do I need better than that for hunting? NO,, as a matter of fact, I can shoot the Allegiance just about as good as ANY bow I've ever owned in the last 33 years.
I'm no paid pro shooter, but if I was and not hunting for food,, I'd probably be shooting THE most forgiving set up I could find. This probably WOULD be a deflexed riser bow with a long ATA and 8 something brace height.
For my hunting bows,, they will continue to be short, light and fast with heavy arrows but must be quiet shooting

Quick Reply: Reflex vs. Deflex -- What is a good compromise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.