Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much KE is needed for mec broadheads?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much KE is needed for mec broadheads?

I would like to try mechanical broadheads (Rockets or nap scorpions)and was wondering if they would work for me.

What is the minimum KE needed to use mechanical broadheads?

I have a 27 inch DL
65 lbs DW
28 inch carbon force 300"s
Shoot somewhere in the 250's - 260

I have been told that I do not have enough KE to make a pass through with mecanicals. Is this true? As I dont want to make a good shot turn bad by not using the proper broadheads.

Thanks
AL
Old 04-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much KE is needed for mec broadheads?

With Rocket Steelheads you will be picking your arrow up,no you will be pulling your arrow out of the ground on the otherside of the animal.

I would say that if choosing more aggresive heads you probably don't have enough ke but with the smaller cut heads with pathfinder style points you have more than enough.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cautionary note: Make sure each and every blade on each and every head flops open on it's own when you remove the o-ring. I've had terrible luck with mechanicals because I have yet to get a set that actually functioned properly out of the box. Even the Rocket Steelheads I got were gummed up and wouldn't open correctly. I had to stone off some burrs around the screw holes before they'd act right. I've never used them for hunting, but, from the testing I did, if I were to use mechanicals it'd be the Steelheads.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:52 PM

Honestly? I would be leary using mechanicals with your set up. What is your total
arrow weight?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
Start with my link. You may also want to check out a few other pages as they will provide you more insight into what your looking for. As a rule, with the heads you want to use I recommend at least 55 ft/lbs of KE to provide the best chance of complete penetration. Some heads require a lot more, while others a lot less.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot about 4 deer with my old setup, with the Vortex 100 grain 3x blade heads. I shot them on a easton epic 400 @29" leaving my PSE Polaris Express at around 230fps. They passed through every animal and broke shoulder blades on 2x of them.