Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

a good starter bow

Old 09-15-2002, 12:53 PM

Default a good starter bow

i am lookin to start bow huntin and i am lookin for a good starter bow that is not too expensive(up to around $300-$350 or less). if any body can give me any advice please reply, i could sure use it. thanks.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: a good starter bow

First, welcome to the board! The folks here can give you some great tips but we can't replace getting fitted CORRECTLY at a pro shop. IMO I would start with a long, high brace hight bow for as forgiving a set-up as possible. The shop can help you on fingers or release, carbon or XX75, XX78, pins or scope. Be prepared to spend so time with these folks on form and some other fine points.
If they wont take time to help you out find a shop that will!

Old 09-15-2002, 05:06 PM

Your going to spend at least $150 on sights, release, arrow rest, quiver, arrows and heads. The PSE Nova was the popular starter bow a couple of years ago (don't know the 2002 popularity winner). You can buy package bows from several companies with everything needed except arrows in the low $300 bracket. I'm very happy with my Golden Eagle Splitfire 36 ($250). I started bowhunting in 1973 so I'm not a beginner and I got all the bow I'll ever need for under $300.

The lower priced bows out there are true bargains ... you almost can't go wrong with any PSE or Hoyt entry bows. Check the trade in bows at your local archery shop also. Have fun, ask questions and practice a lot.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:22 PM

bowtech has two good starter bows. the stalker, and the tom cat. my two cousin bought the stalker an both have been very pleased with the bows they bought.i've shoot with them on 3d targets and they shhot as good as i do.i shoot the mighty mite by bowtech.it is a little faster than theres but it cost a lot more.there bow cost in the $350 range. you can get it for under or over that price according to how much you want to spend. always remember you get what you pay for.good luck and good hunting!

tracey moore
Old 09-15-2002, 11:47 PM

High Country Archery Power Force X1 was called "The best deal around" by Bill Winke at Outdoor Life Magazine.

It has an IBO rating of over 300fps with a 70#, 30in draw and 350 grain arrow. It's 38in long and has a 7in brace height. All for under $250.00. I've never shot or even held one of these bows but have never heard anything bad about HCA either.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Oh yeah. At that price you'll still have some bread left over to buy a rest, sight, release and a couple of arrows maybe too.

Edited by - Notavegetarian on 09/16/2002 00:50:40