Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead tuning question

Old 04-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead tuning question

Danny , I take it your a left hand archer ?

After you have your arrows tuned , then its time to start with the bow . By that I mean , you should have the proper stiffness [spine] arrows , they need to be as close to identical as posable . And if you plan on shooting fixed broadheads [ which is what muzzys are] , Id sugest 5" fletching in the rear of your arrow . I like 5" feathers on a 4 degree offset , some others prefer vanes , IMO feathers work great through the wisker bisquet .
Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ijimmy, No actually I shoot right handed. I've been reading the links that were sent on here and looking at everything that you guys have been posting. I had no idea there was so much to learn. The fortunate thing is that I have alot of time and enjoy shooting at targets. Eventually i'd like to shoot at a deer this October but if i'm not confident in where the arrow is going i'll wait until next year.
My daughter and I shot the gun all last summer preparing for fall and we both felt like if a deer presented itself it was going to be taken cleanly. I was confident on her first shot that if she actually pulled the trigger that the deer was going to be hit where she was aiming. Same with me
I'm looking forward to getting both of us to that same place with a bow and we are willing to put in the time
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ijimmy, No actually I shoot right handed
In that case , I would recomend moveing your rest slightly inward towards the bow untill your broadhead equiped arrows , and your field tiped arrows hit in the same grouping . Then adjust your sights .
Old 04-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great that you shoot and hunt with your daughter.
Absolutely outstanding, as is your choice to limit your shooting at deer if things aren't right.

I hope I am as lucky to have my daughter interested in the outdoor things I love to do.
I've got a few years left, since she's just 2 1/2, but I've already got her shooting a little 15# recurve about 5 feet.
It's the cutest thing. She'll do a countdown for me before each shot when I'm practicing in the basement.

Anyway, back to tech-talk...
We've heard you are right-handed, and your rest is has Whiskers, but how about some other info?

You've got a compound bow, right?
Do you use a release aide?
Were your arrows selected by the shop, or did you just grab some off the shelf?
Arrow selection is critical, as the rest and bow can only be adjusted to accomodate a given range of stiffness, and there are difinitely some spines that will work better for you than others.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is great to have my 12 year old daughter out there with me. Just watching her do all the right things including passing on good deer where the shot didn't feel right to her. I'm pretty lucky.

OK the specs

Fred Bear tr36 compound bow
53# draw weight
29" draw length
carbon gold tip XT camo hunter 3555 7.2g/inch cut at 29''
4 inch straight vanes
whisper biscuit rest
mechanical release
string loop
100g field tips and 100g muzzy 3 blade broadhead
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and ordered through a local pro shop. They also cut them and put on the vanes