Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Helical fletching with mec. heads

Old 09-15-2002, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Helical fletching with mec. heads

Will using Helical fletching with mechanical heads take more KE to open the heads than straight fletching because of the added spin to the arrow?
Old 09-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Helical fletching with mec. heads

I don't see how. In all honesty, even the most difficult mechanical heads to open don't really take all that much. I think one of the biggest myths in bowhunting is that mechanicals don't penetrate as well becuase it takes so much energy to open them. Most of the penetration is lost due to larger cutting diameters, longer ferules that must penetrate the hide and everything else before the blades begin to cut, and the fact that despite what we all preach, their are still some that don't tune their bows and use mechanicals as a quick accuracy fix, never taking the time to consider the effects that an untuned bow has on arrow preformance and penetration.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-15-2002, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with 5 shot on this one, however must say that I have found some of the mechanicals very hard to open due to poor assembly or machining, and therefore having them be too tight, or have burrs that need to be taken care of, etc, before they will perform correctly. (In other words they take more maintenence to keep them in top working order) But I recommend an offset or helical with all hunting setups, regardless of mechanical or fixed head. Just my own thoughts, Pinwheel 12

Old 09-15-2002, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with pinwheel and 5 shot but would like to add one thing.The Rocket heads are offset and if using an offset or helical vane,make sure it is the same as the head.You don't want the head and vane fighting each other.Some other heads are also offset so make sure you check.