Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting fingers question.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shooting fingers question.

I started shootin fingers again with a Bear compound I'v got. I dont hunt with a regular archery glove but usually use a pair of jersey gloves instead. I got the bow tuned & sighted in using an older pair that are really thin & am shooting pretty good with THOSE gloves or just naked fingers. Well today I pulled on a new pair just to see because I wont be using the old ones come fall. To my suprise the arrows are hitting 4 inches right of aim point. I thought something might be outta whack but when I shot with the old gloves & then naked fingers it was dead on. I took a few shots with a archery glove & they hit right also. I'm just suprised that a different glove would make such a big difference. This was at 18 yards or so in my basement, if I'd a gone outside & shot at 30 I'd a likely missed entirely.
My question is is this normal & if it is whats causing it?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting fingers question.

Different materials, different thicknesses, different 'slickness.' Each glove is coming off the string differently. Your feel of the string changes. Cloth gloves can wrinkle and ball up in front of the string, making the string hang up on release and throwing your arrow to the side. Thick leather gloves can take a groove and give you pretty much the same effect. I'd suggest getting a few thin cordovan leather tabs (always gotta have a couple of spares in case you misplace one!) or a couple of Damascus gloves. The leather is thick enough to protect your fingertips, but thin enough to let you feel the string and get a smooth, CONSISTENT release.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur is right on the money. I shoot a Neet tab. When I break in a new one, the first 20 to 30 shots are always off the spot. After a few hours of shooting the groups start to come back to the original aiming point. The tab starts to form to my fingers and the string. I usually purchase 3 tabs at a time. I'll break each one in with a few shots over the summer so I have a good backup just in case one drops out of my stand or is misplaced somewhere along the way. At one time I used the super leather by Neet. This material usually takes 50 to 60 shots to really break in properly. I switched to the hair tab; this material will break in less the 30 shots.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

So, what do you do once it gets cold? Thats why I started using the cloth gloves.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I keep my string hand in my pocket, with a warmer pac. I have gotten a Glommit on my hand, over a Damascus glove. I've also worn a wool glove and cut the finger hole in a tab big enough to go over the finger stall.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Is a "glomitt" one of those mittens that fold back exposing your fingers? I'v used them rifle hunting before & was gonna go that route before I found I could shoot with cotton gloves. Now that I'v discovered gloves are inconsistant I'll have to reconsider.
These Damascus gloves, what are they & where can they be gotten? I hear Damascus I start thinking old shotguns & knives.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is a "glomitt" one of those mittens that fold back exposing your fingers?
Yep. You can pick up a Damascus glove at Kustom King.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I thank you Sir.