Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sonic Broadheads

Old 04-01-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Sonic Broadheads

I finally got a chance to shoot my new Sonic Heads today, and I must say I am very dissapointed. I shot several shots with these broadheads at 20 yards and each time I was hitting low and to the right, significantly. I have sighted in my bow to be dead on at 20 yards with fieldpoints, and American Broadhead claims their Sonic Heads fly excatly like fieldpoints. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with these heads or anyother broadheads? Any advice would also be greatly appreciated!! Thanks AGAIN
Old 04-01-2005, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Sonic Broadheads

how'd they fly? straight? were they wigglin' all around? when it gets close to deer season, like mid june, my field pts come off and all i shoot is broadheads. when i first put them on i tune my bow just like i would with any new arrow setup, and get the arrow flying correctly. i'm in the camp of people that don't care if their blades hit where their field pts do. some think if that is happening then neither is flying just right.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot these heads a fair amount and I would have to guess you have a major tuning issue if they are hitting low right. These heads probably fly more like a field point than any other fixed blade head I have ever tried.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:27 PM

B-tech,
I have shot 8-10 different types of fixed blade broadheads. They have ALL shot to a different point of impact than my target points. I have always had to re-adjust my sights every fall. It drives me nuts and ticks me off.

I don't know why I let this bother me so much, but it does.

Kev
Old 04-03-2005, 12:53 AM

I have sighted in my bow to be dead on at 20 yards with fieldpoints,
Sighting your bow and tuning your arrow flight are two entirely different things as I have learned from the other shooters on this board.

Begin with a good paper tune to get things close and then sight in at 20 yds. Next, shoot your broadheads. They should be close, but it is highly unusual that they both hit in the same spot. Make small adjustments to get them to come together. It sounds like a lot of work, but is fairly easy.

Definitely print a copy of the Easton tuning guide and follow it through. You will have both of them hitting together in no time.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, you've got a tune problem with the bow. Since your b'heads are hitting low/right, simply move your rest up and left about 1/64" at a time (I'm defining WA Shooter's "small adjustments" for you) and keep it up until you've got your Sonics hitting with your field points. Actually, trying to move both centershot and height at the same time can drive you nuts. I'd move rest height first, to get the groups both hitting the same elevation, then adjust centershot to bring the groups together.

If you've got to move the rest height a whole lot - to where the centerline of the arrow shaft would be more than 1/8" above the center of the mounting hole - set the height back so the arrow is centered and move the nockset instead (down in your case). When you get the groups close to the same height, then adjust the rest. Only move the rest height for micro tuning.

If your nockset winds up below square, you'll need to adjust your tiller.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

B-Tech- Before you start re-tuning your bow try the Slick Trick broadhead. I too bought a pack of the Sonic Broadheads and they shot High and to the right! Frustrated like yourself I wanted to see if it was the Broadhead or my bow being out of tune, so I purchased another broadhead that claims to fly just like field points the Slick Trick. It is the broadhead without a doubt. The slick trick's flew exactly like the field points. I shot an arrow with a field point on it and then the slick trick. The slick trick shafted and totally destroyed my Gold tip Pro-hunter arrow at thirty yards. In my opinion the Sonic does not fly as good as it claims!!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!! My arrow does seem to be acting like a left handed slider,(moving left to right close to the target at 20 yards) only slightly. But it is tough to see arrow flight at 20 yards, I have yet to sight my bow in at 30. I shot again today and my fieldpoints were dead on at 20, and when I shot my sonic heads they again were low and right about 4 inches each way. I'm going to shoot my cousins Muzzy 100s this weekend. If they shoot off like my sonic heads then I should take my bow to my dealer and have him tune it. Is it possible for my bow to be tuned for fieldpoints and then need re-tuned for broadheads??
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM

The pro shop can help you tune it, but they can't do it for you. You need to be behind the bow so it is tuned for your quirks in form. Everyone has them.

Yes, a bow can be tuned for field points and need to be retuned for broadheads. But it should be tuned for both.

I used to be one of the many that would tune their bow for FP's and then have to retune before the season for BH's. This usually meant adjusting the sights so the BH hit where I aimed, but the FP's would then be off. I got tired of this and from asking many questions of the great guys on this board, I can now tune both the FP's and BH's to hit in the same spot and don't need to go through retuning before I head to the field.

Again, get a copy of the Easton tuning guide, it will walk you through every step and you can do it at your house and not have to make the trip to the shop.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes
Old 04-05-2005, 12:36 PM

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Sonic Broadheads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.