Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Two eyes open or one???

Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Two eyes open or one???

I have been shooting one eye closed while shooting sights on guns or bows. I was shooting today when someone said you shouldn't shoot with one eye closed. I was told that two eyes would give me more pereferial vision ,and that I would be able to quess yardage better. I don't think I really need pereferial vision because I am supposed to be focusing on one spot on the animal what do I need to pay attention to more than that. And as far as yardage goes a person probably has already quessed yardage before they have commited to the shot or they should have. Sorry for dragging this out I just had to ask how many shoot with one eye or two and who thinks that regardless how well I shoot with one eye closed I shouldn't do it. Please give input!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:49 PM

Default RE: Two eyes open or one???

I shoot with one eye open, always have. I've tried shooting with both eyes open, but I find that I have trouble focusing on the pins when shooting this way.

I've never heard that you shouldn't shoot with one eye closed, apples and oranges is my guess.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 PM

Yeah that is what I thought also. I did try it but my focus on my pins was not as clear/defined though I could hit.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 AM

both eyes open. before deciding against it, take a day to get used to it. i admit it is really weird at first, but for most who get used to it they won't go back.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:39 AM

I can see much better with both open, but my dominant eye won't neccessarily take over every time. I guess it's borderline dominant, especially with my head turned at an angle to the target. I have to partially close one eye, to let eye dominance take over. As soon as my pin is near my target, I open the partially closed eye.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot with only my right eye open because I am left eye dominant and I shoot a right-handed bow. If I did not then I would have difficulty looking through the peep sight as my left eye would constantly fight to take over the focus. However, for those that do shoot with their dominant eye then having two eyes open is reportedly the way to go. The reasons? I honestly do not remember them as I have not had the motivation to explore the issue further.

Sorry I could not help more.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 AM

Sometimes I think I shoot with both eyes closed!

I try to keep both eyes open while I am settling in then I only use one eye to concentrate on the spot.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 AM

i can't do it with a peep, but i use a no peep and its great.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always shoot with both eyes open and I'm very surprised that some of you haven't been corrected in the past! It's the only way to shoot IF you are able! You wil find that the even the amount of shooting light you'll have is very surprising. I couln't imagine trying to look through a peep sight in lowlight (hunting) conditions with nly one eye??? Way to many shot ops could be wastd with that method. As mentioned above, spend a couple days shooting this way and you'll be surprised by the results.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:05 AM

I've been shooting both eyes open for years. I find in low light situations it allows you to see the target better while letting the pin float on the boiler room. Since I learned to shoot (I say learned because I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant) both eyes open I wouldn't dream of switching back.

Quick Reply: Two eyes open or one???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.