Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Two eyes open or one???

Old 04-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two eyes open or one???

I shoot everything with two eyes open...bows, guns, bull, breeze, etc.

Besides the low light advantage, and peripheral vision (to see another nearby deer or something), it's just plain easier to relax and shoot well when you're not trying to scrunch up one side of your face, particularly if you have to hold for a few seconds.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always shot rifles and bows with one eye closed and after 40 years see no need to change it. I will shoot a handgun with both eyes open because that is how I was taught in the Army.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Shooting with both eyes open will give you a clearer picture of the target or animal. You will be able to see the definition of the target better and pick a more precise aiming point.

After shooting with both eyes open forever I recently had to go back to winking because I was starting to get double vision after only a couple seconds of aiming. If I were shooting at a dot, it would actually split into two dots and slowly spread farther apart. The only way to fix it was to wink. I was told it has somethig to do with a part of your eye losing its flexability and causing the eye not to focus on two things at two different distances. Anyway, after shooting both ways I would suggest both eyes open if your body lets you. And for those of you who say you would never go back to winking, just remember, it may not always be your choice.

I hate winking to shoot, but someone would have to jab both my eyes out to get me to quit shooting.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot with my eyes open,
just more comfortable for me that way
closing one eye tends to make me squint

i had a weak right eye and i strengthened it with keeping an eye patch over my stronger left eye,

Most people have 1 eye stronger than the other,
doesnt affect their overall vision, but does come into play when trying to focus with 1 eye,
Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
dws

I used to shoot everything with both eyes open. But now that I'm older, I have to close my left eye to keep everything in focus. I would suggest using both eyes if you can, but if you can't, don't lose any sleep over it. There are more important things to good shooting such as anchor points and form and follow through.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dws

I used to shoot everything with both eyes open. But now that I'm older, I have to close my left eye to keep everything in focus. I would suggest using both eyes if you can, but if you can't, don't lose any sleep over it. There are more important things to good shooting such as anchor points and form and follow through.
I'm with cwoods shoot and dws. Give it a try and let us know. I think it's better with both eyes open. You may see something going on that you wouldn't if you were just looking through a peep.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

its one eye for me
Old 04-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot cross eyes! Just kidding both eyes open here.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:22 AM

For me I shoot with both open, it just came natrually even with guns or scopes.
to me I think what ever your comfortable and accurate with, but I find it that most of the time I could see everything that happens, like my arrow flight or impact on game I guess thats the only advantage it has.

But I think gibblet is right on this one.