Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arthur P - WB with helicals?

Old 09-14-2002, 09:40 AM

Default Arthur P - WB with helicals?

Arthur P,

You had recommended for my old wood riser, round wheel bow that I needed to change rests to avoid cable contact with my fletchings. http://forum.hunting.net/bbs/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84772

I've been looking at some rests and want your opinion on a Whisker Bisquit for my particular application. I really like the idea of holding that arrow positively on the rest as I'm looking to do a lot of stalking. If I can adjust this rest close enough to the riser, then it looks like a good option. However, I'm curious about helical fletchings with a WB. Do helicals work well WB rests?

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mdp/Hunting/Hunt.htm

Edited by - BigKid on 09/14/2002 10:44:17
Old 09-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arthur P - WB with helicals?

I don't shoot a WB. The guys I know that do use 'em fletch straight with slight offset to get as little drag as possible going through the rest.

But, that rest will not solve your original problem with the launcher rest you've got now. The way they say to shoot WB's is cock vane up instead of cock vane down. You're getting vane contact on that riser shooting cock down and swapping it 180 degrees will simply move that contact from where it is down a little further in the sight window. The contact will still be there.

You need to get a rest that will shoot cock vane out for that bow. I recommended the GKF Star Hunter. It's an excellent rest. Has to be to stay on the market as long as it has with as much competition as there is. It was made before your bow was new and it's still around.

You said on that other thread that you were concerned about the arrow falling off. Adjust the Star Hunter correctly and you'd have to nearly turn the bow upside down to get an arrow to fall off the rest. They also make the Star Hunter in a version that has micro-adjust windage capability for easy tuning.

Another good one that is period with the bow and still around, is the GKF Huntmaster Supreme. It's a spring cushioned launcher that uses a side plunger. More designed for fingers shooters than release, but it'll shoot fine with a release and is even better at preventing arrow fall-off than the Star Hunter.

I've also used flippers, like the Cavalier Microflyte. Even the old NAP Flipper II stickon rest combined with a plunger would work great and even those are still around.

Prong rests, drop aways, whisker bisquits and such are great choices for bows with broadhead cutouts, cut well past centershot. They are designed with the proper clearance for using prong launchers. You don't have that kind of leeway with your bow because it is cut nearly ON centershot. With only a couple of exceptions, ALL wood riser bows are that way.

The only way I would even think about mounting a WB on your bow is if you switched to feathers instead of vanes. You'd still get fletching contact, but it wouldn't affect your arrow flight and accuracy nearly as much.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:16 PM

Thanks Arthur. I've just not seen the rest that you mention in person, but it looks like it would allw the arrow to fall off the rest to the left fairly easily. It's cheap enough, I really can't loose. I'm already shooting 4" feathers and will continue to regardless of the rest that I select. I have uninocks, so I can adjust the fletching to what ever position is optimal.

I'm curious about the cock feather up on a wisker biscuit. What does it matter since the biscuit contacts the full length of the shaft?

Old 09-14-2002, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The clamp part that holds the bisquit on the rest cuts off about a quarter of the bottom part of the bisquit and forces you to align the fletches cock up to clear it. The Delux WB looks like has solved that problem, but costs an extra $20.

If you're really, really worried about the arrow falling off the rest, the Whisker Bisquit is not your only alternative, nor do I think it's even the best alternative, due to the speed loss and total fletching contact.

For that bow of yours, which has a riser that is configured exactly like a recurve riser, you can buy a little rubber arrow keeper (some used to call 'em a spare finger) called a Kwik-Loc that sticks on the side of the riser, clips over the arrow and then flips out of the way when you start to draw. You can find one of those in traditional archery catalogs or web catalogs. I doubt it would work with the Star Hunter because of the side plate but it would be a good choice for a Flipper II/plunger combo. 3 Rivers is one source for the Kwik-Loc.

There is also an arrow keeper called the Auto Loc that will fit right on the Huntmaster rest (and the TM Hunter), if you go that route. $5-6 depending on whether you get the aluminum arrow or carbon arrow version.

There are a bunch of others, some a little fancier and more mechanically operated and a good bit more costly, but they all do basically the same thing... Keep the arrow from falling off the rest until you're ready to shoot.
Old 09-15-2002, 03:55 PM

Hey Big kid I used a huntmaster 2000 on my old browning bow that did'nt have a cut out riser and it worked good for figer shooting and It shot well with a release.and it has a built in arroww holder the "L" shaped launcher arm holds the arrow under the plunger button you can turn the bow upside down and the arrow won't fall off when your ready to shoot you push the launcher arm down with you index finger an the arrow slides right up ready to shoot. Its really pretty slick.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:17 PM

Thanks Tim. I made a run to BassPro this afternoon and bought a NAP Quicktune 750 (copycat of the StarHunter). Spent a few hours this afternoon tuning it with no complaints so far. It definitely gets the feathers off of the cables. Now I just need to get some new fletchings and a jig and repair a half dozen arrows.