Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is my sight to low??????

Old 09-14-2002, 08:27 AM

Default is my sight to low??????

Hi I was just woundering if anyone could answer a pin sight question?My pins are not centered ,they are near the bottom,i have a 15,20 &30 yd pins i would like to put a 40yd pin in but i don't have room. There's a lot of room on top.Is there something not aligned or is that the way it is?
Old 09-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: is my sight to low??????

Check to see if you can move the entire sight BRACKET down, and not just the pins.
If the bracket is already bottomed out, then the most logical reason for this is a too high of an anchor point.
Think of it this way......the closer your arrow's nock gets to your eye, the closer your sights need to get to your arrow. (Theoretically if your arrow was absolutely in line with your eye, then your sight would need to be BELOW your arrow).The further your arrow's nock gets from your eye (down) the further your sight gets from the arrow......you will now be able to slide the pins and or bracket upward.
It's not hard to learn a new anchor point if you have a peep sight, and someone who can slide it up for you with the aid of a bow press.
A solid low anchor with your thumb under your jawline will also give you another reference point to promote a good repeatable anchor.
With no reference point for your hand position, it's very easy to 'Float' around your face, even with a peep sight.

I can't tell what the problem is obviously in writing, but this would be the most obvious solution to me......however you may not want to fiddle around with changes so close to the season.

Another possibility could be an incompatability with certain sights and sight windows......I know some of the long draw shooters were having problems with the small sight windows on some bows like the Mathews FX.