Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

.001 or .003

Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .001 or .003

Thanks for the input I guess I will save the 30 and shoot the .003. Now I need to figure out if I should shoot Gold Tips XT. PSE radial x weave Hunters or Super carbons. any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

wow, the spine junkies haven't weighed in yet. (who i agree with)
Yeah, gibblet, me too. But spine is a whole nuther bucket of frogs.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:57 AM

I am relatively new to hunting. I have read all the opinions that have been given on the difference between .001,.003 and .006 for hunting. My question is when practicing will I be able to tell the difference in grouping at 20 and 30 yards when using the .003 as opposed to the .006? Is it the feeling that if we are hunting just as long as we hit in the killing zone some place we do'nt worry about grouping when we practice. When I am practicing I always try to group as tight as I can aka aim small hit small. When practicing with the .006 am I wasting my time trying to get them to group next to each other or should I have the paper plate mentality aka just as long as it hits somwhere on the paper plate it is acceptable. Even if hunting while practicing and wanting tight groups should I go with the .003? Sorry about the rambling but I love shooting and even practicing and want to be the best I can be.

bones
Old 03-25-2005, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbuck270
Now I need to figure out if I should shoot Gold Tips XT. PSE radial x weave Hunters or Super carbons. any suggestions?
I have one of the PSE Radial X Weave Stealth arrows. They are OK arrows, I just busted the nocks on the two other arrows I had. Since I have never heard of Super Carbons, I would have to recommend Gold Tip XT arrows. I had a dozen of these arrows, and while I was severely underspined, they were still great arrows.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, if the .006 rated arrows actually were straight to .006 over their length, then it would take a very talented archer to "need" anything better. BUT, .003 and even .001 rated arrows aren't usually that good, especially if you are talking about the whole length of the shaft like Arthur needs. The only way to tell is to get a straightener to measure them or at least a spinner to see what they are like for straightness. Yes, when they are not straight, the ends are the worst part, but some are crooked on both ends, some seem dead straight on one end and terrible on the other. Spine is a "whole 'nother issue. I just started measuring spine, but I am seeing close to 10 times the amount of arrow to arrow variation in Carbon Tech Cheetahs (which are supposed to be pretty good) as I am seeing in a dozen ACCs. Does it make much difference when shooting them? Can't say for sure yet, but I plan on finding out.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Site Bouncer

When practicing with the .006 am I wasting my time trying to get them to group next to each other or should I have the paper plate mentality aka just as long as it hits somwhere on the paper plate it is acceptable.
Bones,

All I shoot are .006 arrows and mine are 33in long. I can put them all in a 2-3in circle and have some touching each other at 20yrds. So no you are not wasting your time. Keep practicing and your groups will get tighter.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:12 PM

I have to throw my opinion in here. Bigbuck270 and I shot quite a few arrows today at 20 yards. His arrows are newer than mine, but both of ours are hard used. My arrows are 3-4 tears old. XX75's that I bought out of the cardboard box at Wally-world. Those things couldn't have been too straight when I bought them. Well, today we each shot over a hundred times using 4 or 5 arrows each. We were both shooting good groups, often having two arrows touching @ 20 yds. This was during high, gusty winds.

My whole reason for saying all of this, is that even if we were to buy the .006 carbons, they would have to be a huge step-up in quality. Don't you think??

I just sort of feel that for the average bowhunter, .006 will shoot just as good as .001. What I mean is that the AVERAGE guy (INCLUDING ME) can't shoot good enough to tell the difference. In other words, if we can touch old beat-up aluminum arrows at 20 yds. on a windy day, what would the .001's do for us? Stick end to end?? Not gonna happen. I feel it's just another way to charge more for merchandise.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:54 PM

I am suprised to see no one brought up arrow tuning with broadheads in this thread. With the speed of todays bows, even the mid price range ones, having an arrow that spins true with a broadhead is vitally important. I just began doing this tuning myself last season, and noticed that even a little wobble at the broadhead is bad news. I never could get my 100 gr. Thunderheads to fly well even though they had no wobble in them, and the 100 gr. Muzzy's needed to be spot on to fly acceptable. I had been concerned with the difference in impact between BH's and field points of 2-3" at 20 yards, not a problem for most guys, but someone had replied that they would be kicking the dog over that last year.

So with that said, I would opt to shoot the .003's in the extremely reasonable Gold Tip XT's. Leave the .001's for the rich guys who feel they need them to try and shoot in the top 10 at their 3D's.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:04 AM

I am suprised to see no one brought up arrow tuning with broadheads in this thread. With the speed of todays bows, even the mid price range ones, having an arrow that spins true with a broadhead is vitally important.
Not only that, but broadheads compound any problems due to straightness, spine, tip insert alignment, weight differences. Testing arrow with field tips has no relavance to a hunter.

I ask this question on occassion on this forum and have yet to get an answer, but I'm going to try again. I have an Arizona Arrow Straightener with a dial caliper to measure straightness. However. It's taking the measurement over a very short arrow section of about 10-12". If manufacturers rate them over 29", how can I measure this and come up with a number that correlates to theirs? Anyone?