Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stabilzers

Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Stabilzers

I agree with Randy Ulmer. If a stabilizer is not 12 inches long, don't even waste your time. I use a 12" stabilizer with a bracket to offset the stabiizer off the left hand side of the bow. My bow is perfectly balanced in my hand, without holding it. Putting a 3" stabilizer on a bow in my opinion is silly. Just do what many archers do and just don't use one, if you are not going to get a long one. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:54 PM

You've given the wrong website addy. It should be;
http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter_20.htm

Also, while the Newsletter is correct in its content, I can see where it can be misleading to many archers, who might think that just adding 'frontal' weight is the solution to better shooting.

We place emphasis on custom fitting the stabilization to the customers' needs/desires in several axis. This can only be determined based on a complete understanding of his/her bow's design and what accessories are added. We've seen designs that required weight on the back of the riser rather than on the front. Also, consideration must always be made when shooting with a quiver on the bow.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 AM
Fork Horn

Since this will be my first stabilizer i went down to the army surplus store that handles bows accessories etc. and i found a stabilizer by "Limbsaver" (3061) it's about 6 or 7 oz's and about 5 in. in length it also came in camo, going to give it a try and was also told by a friend that you can get those short extention stabilizers male/female ends where you can add the extra weight or increase the length. Has anyone dealt with that kind of setup?? ,,btw,i just screwed in that limbsaver sure makes it look like a real bow now,,looks tuff. [8D]
Old 03-23-2005, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Len,I corrected the addy.
As for the weight issue on todays light weight bows......for most people "adding weight" in the right place`s is going to enhance accuracy and on "Most" of the designs out there today........ "weight" out front is going to do the most to help as it has more "leverage" on the bow.
All of the top archers I know are using longer/heavier stabilizers than most people on their hunting rigs.........8 inches and up!