Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A/C/C's or Carbons?

Old 03-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A/C/C's or Carbons?

As some of you know, I picked up my new Allegiance last week and right now I'm trying to work out what kind of setup I want to shoot out of it. I've shot aluminum arrows my entire life and never really had a problem to speak of, but I'm looking to try something new out for this season. Seeing as though I've never experimented much with carbons or carbon/aluminum composites I was wondering if a few of you more knowledgable folks would clue me in as to the advantages/disadvantages of both shafts. My main concern isn't having a light, fast arrow, but rather something with a little bit of weight to it that's going to give me the best penetration possible.

FYI - I'm shooting about 65 lbs @ 28" with a 100 grain broadhead.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A/C/C's or Carbons?

We shoot similar setups , buy yourself some 349s and go from there , or keep shooting aluminums , 2314s would be my guess . I tried quiet a few pure carbons , most shot like junk from the get go , some initially shot good , but quickly lost their grouping ability . My opinion .
Old 03-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

They will all do OK so long as you don't buy the very cheapest carbons. I've shot many different kinds over the last 10 years and if you want the best quality within normal budgets then my nod goes to ACC's. They seem to have the best spine consistency. Can they break or bend or get creased? You bet. Can they pssibly snap and go through your hand? Not very likely.

But then all carbon arrows probably won't do much worse either if you pay some attention to them. And they can and do break or split if you go around shooting trees and rocks, or shoot tight groups hitting the nock ends. Any arrow can be destroyed.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I obvioulsy understand the physical limitations of any arrow, regardless of material, if you shoot it into a concrete wall, rock, etc. What I'm more or less looking for are the pros and cons as they directly correlate into an acc versus carbon comparison. Simply - why would anyone shoot an ACC versus a carbon arrow? Strength? Durability? Straightness? Etc..
Old 03-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I'm sure you know the ACC's are wrapped carbon over an aluminum core. Any damage to this arrow is obvious. Carbon arrows are hollow core and can be fractured on the interior by impact or a flaw in manufacturer. Most times this flaw will be noticed on impact with the target, but on occasion, the arrow will fail when released. I instruct JOAD at my local club. Outdoor ranges from 30 to 80 meters. A carbon is a necessity with archers with draw weights in the 30# range from a recurve bow. The ONLY carbon arrows I will permit are the ACC, ACE and X-10's. Safety first = peace of mind.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Justin, I've shot carbons for about 4 years now. I liked the GoldTip XTs I was shooting for a while very much. They are a good arrow that is very tough and reasonably priced. Then I started thinking about it and I came to the realization that I have bought 3 dozen arrows and of that 3 dozen I have thrown out 10 due to straightness issues and eliminated 4 more due to grouping issues most likely related to spine. The savings in cost disappeared pretty quickly and the XT is a good arrow. This year I bought a dozen ACCs and couldn't be happier. I know every arrow is straight and spined correctly and thanks to the numbering codes I can be sure that when I need more I get some that should shoot exactly the same as my current arrows. They cost more, but you get what you pay for.

BTW, I just got an Allegiance as well. Mine is 28" 65 lbs. and I got the 349 ACCs. So far I'm very pleased.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

ACC's would be my choice, but I prefer something with more weight. Even though the spine is correct, I am still old school when it comes to total arrow weight. I cannot justify spending $120 or more for a dozen arrows that are just too light for my hunting setup. That is why I don't/won't shoot ACC's for hunting. Personally, I suppose I could justify spending money on the aluminums again, replacing those as they break or bend.

There are nothing wrong with carbon arrows, as long as you buy the better grades. Carbons have gained such a popular following because of durability. I find it funny when some archers complain about the carbons that lose their straightness when in fact one hit, ding or incorrectly pulled arrow from a target makes an aluminum arrow nothing but stump shooters. I am going to try the New Beman Max 4 myself this year.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Justin,
I have probably killed more deer with A/C/C's than all other makes and models of carbon arrow combined.........I mess around with lots of different carbon target shafts for 3D, but it'll always be A/C/C's for hunting.
You know exactly what you are getting with these and IMO they're worth every penny. (The best carbons, which you'd need to even come close to A/C/C's are just about as expensive.)
I personally shoot 3-60's with 2.25" Quik Spins and 100gr heads for a finished weight of 403grs.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Another fan of the ACC's here. I don't think twice about paying the extra money for ACC's. I know they will all group together after buying dozens of them over the years and never had a single problem. Some people complain that they can bend but I have found them to be very durable.

Justin, the biggest advantage is the spine consistency offered by the aluminum core. I don't believe pure carbon arrows can compare with the spine.... And as far as weight compared to aluminums for hunting I don't think the penetration is sacraficed due to the smaller diameter. And besides, ACC's are slightly heavier, on average, compared to most pure carbon arrows.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar, you may want to check Easton's super lite aluminum arrows. A bit less speed with a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: A/C/C's or Carbons?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.