Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

STS system anyone?

Old 03-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Default RE: STS system anyone?

GIBBLET, not a problem at all.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ordered mine yesterday, should be here in a few days. Thanks to Matt, Frank and Joe!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

FYI

I took Joe's advice and swung the mounting block as well as the rod upwards getting the end as close to the center of the string as possible, and guess what? It does work better.......imagine that something working best where the inventor tells you to put it.

I played around with it quite a bit tonight, mounted low, mounted high, and removed and there is a definite difference between the low mount I originally had and getting it up high. (it now sits about 2" from the edge of the center serving)

I also chrono'd the bow without, in the low position and high........I got the lowest readings WITHOUT, and actually had roughly a 1fps speed gain on average mounted in the recommended spot VS bare string.

So disregard my original pictures, they're wrong. I'll try to get some new ones up shortly.

It works very well and I really like it, but I am having one "fashion concious" issue with the STS.......the finish seems to be VERY delicate. Looks like a flat paint over raw aluminum? I have already chipped away some of the finish on the rod and the mounting block basically doing nothing? [:-] And where the rod sits underneath the mounting block the finish is completely scrubbed off after a few adjustments which makes it hard to move in and out and it no longer spins easily when the set screw is loosened.
My advice if you want to keep it looking good is to set it and forget it.
No biggie, I'll just touch up the spots with a sharpie or some flat black paint.......it's not going to affect performance but when you are shooting an $800 polished anodized riser bow?

My suggestion to Joe is a modification in the manufacturering process.....POWDER COAT.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt:

When I ordered mine, Joe mentioned that IF he could get ahead by about 50 units, he was sending them to be anodized. He said in the future, he planned to offer to exchange one of the original painted ones for a newer anodized one. You might want to contact him about that.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,
That's good to know, if I am moving this from bow to bow to try it's obvious that it's going to get pretty messed up.
Especially if it spends a season on my hunting bow.[:-]
Old 03-24-2005, 06:58 AM

mine should be here today. i took everything off my string and shot yesterday. wow, never realized how well puff balled spider legs work. i'll be shooting with the spiderlegs and sts and then take the spider legs off. it was amazing that the string was vibrating so much it would hit my arm about 1.5 inches past brace. it didn't slap my arm and hurt, just vibrated against it. i really realized that when my nock releases its past the power stroke, just like matt said, when things happen that will mess up a shot.

the thing i'm most excited about, and i hope it ends up this way, is that i think i'll have to worry less, with my 3d suit on with a jacket underneath, about the string hitting my suit. that's one of the first things i'll be doing today also, is seeing how bulky i can go.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

the thing i'm most excited about, and i hope it ends up this way, is that i think i'll have to worry less, with my 3d suit on with a jacket underneath, about the string hitting my suit. that's one of the first things i'll be doing today also, is seeing how bulky i can go.
Now that's a pretty good selling point for us Kanucks who hunt in the cold all the time!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:26 AM

i'll let you know if it has any positive impact on that situation terry. i've heard it ended arm-slap for people, so i'm thinking people like me who don't experience arm slap will gain some added room. it should give you actual brace height room if it stops the string at brace, right? which would make a big difference with hunting gear, right? we'll see. and i agree, if its the case its a great selling pt for hunters. i know its not as cold down here, but the older i get the less i like to be freezing cold, and being able to put another layer on would be sweeeeeet! crud, i'd like to be hunting when its cold in an asat down coat if i could.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Costing some poor guy in PA more money.

I may just have to give this thing a try. I'm getting tired of replacing string leeches and stuff all the time.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 AM

got it, put it on, shot it with my winter jacket on. ************string didn't touch my jacket, which it normally would have torn a hole in it.*********** that in and of itself makes it completely worth it. besides that the only thing i hear is my drop zone launcher arm landing. can't feel a thing and i shoot off the riser. it made a definite difference. backed up to 70 yds. good thing i was aiming in the center of the target. i hit high. had to put my slide on 67 yards so i definately picked up a couple fps. i shoot 388 grains. shot a nice group from 70 in a breeze. i remember seeing somewhere how to quiet the dz arm and now that that is all i hear at all i'm going to find it. i like it. the bolt takes a bigger allen wrench than anything a bow uses, which i don't have. i had to use pliers and it would be nice if it took the same size as a limb bolt. so far sooo greeeeaaaat. thanks. john

Quick Reply: STS system anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.