Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Right-helical fletcher - right wing feather?

Old 03-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Right-helical fletcher - right wing feather?

Looking at a single Jo-Jan arrow fletcher to start fletching my own. I definitely want a 4 degree helical. First question; If I want my field tips to "tighten" during flight, do I use right or left helical fletching? Second: If I buy a right-helical clamp, do I use right-tip or left-tip wing feathers? Last question - what is the best glue to use? Thanks for any info.---I am still on the never ending quest for self-reliance.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Right-helical fletcher - right wing feather?

If you want your tips to tighten during flight use a right helical. You will need to use right wing feathers with a right helical, and vice versa. I use Goat Tuff glue and love it. Take a look at the Bitzenburger jig.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:19 PM

I honestly don't know if right or left makes any difference if you want tighter groups, but, if you use right wing feathers, you must use a right helical clamp, and vice versa for left.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

MObow, he means which way to spin the arrow to keep his field tips tight. Right hand is the way to go, but this isn't always a cureall. Try string wax on your field tips. This works the best, even with left helical.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:04 PM

OHHHHHHH.......yes, bowstring wax on the threads will take care of that problem.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:48 PM

I have 4 degree left helical now, and use wax to keep them from backing out. The only shop in my area that does good quality fletching and has good customer service is moving out of state[&o]. If I want things done right from now on - I'll have to learn and do it myself. Thanks for the info. - Blitzenburger over Jo-Jan? I'm listening.....
Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 PM

right, left, mine still unscrew.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Just bought a bitz myself and fletched my first 6 arrows last night. It was fun and they turned out pretty good for my first time. Real easy to use and once it is set you can forget it. The fletching job looked just like the ones I get from my proshop!!!! As for glue, I used the 3M gel but am open to better suggestions. I really want something that holds well but comes off easy during stripping so the carbon shafts don't get nicked up. '

I will be making my own arrows from now on!!!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:48 PM

uphunter15:

Try using a glue called Flex Bond from Flex-Fletch Products. It holds well is properly applied and can be removed pretty easily. It takes a few minutes to harden and should be cured overnight before you shoot, however.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 AM

uphunter15, I see in magazines that bitz comes with different ends for different nocks and some jigs don't. How do you tell what to use? I really don't don't know much about the different nock sizes that are available. sb919

Quick Reply: Right-helical fletcher - right wing feather?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.