Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Care

Old 03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default String Care

Well here come my questions.. I am new to bow hunting and am limited as to my friends helping me as they still live in the city and come down here once a month for a weekend or soo.. I will be posting and sucking as much knowledge up as possible...lol

1)I was wondering how offten should i wax em'??

2)Can I tell if they need attention before they show massive wear??

3)What is the best way to care for them??
Old 03-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Care

There is nothing better for a good string than a good silicon based wax. When can you tell if it needs waxed? When you start seeing some fuzzies is one good sign. Another is that if you rub it with your fingers and it feels dry. How often? It's up to you. You can't overdo it. And it depends on how well you take care of equipment.

I shoot every day, but always case my bow when not in use. I probably wax my string only a few times a year. And I replace it every year. The cable should be replaced every three years, but a rarely have a bow that long. In fact, about 1 1/2 years is the average.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

your string should be waxed at least a couple times a year.when you do this put the wax on the string and cable and then take your fingers and rub them really fast on the string and cable to generate heat this will melt the wax into the strands.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:14 PM

I agree with BGfisher, I watch for the fuzzies to start forming, then I wax. Although sometimes I don't wait that long.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my own personal tinkering I've found that waxing my string has an affect on how my bow shoots and it wasn't good. I don't wax. When the string shows wear I start thinking of replaceing it.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 AM

i wax every few times i shoot. if your string is made out of 8125 rubbing after you wax until it feels hot is good. if you use 452x you just want it warm. 452x also likes waxing more because of its vectran content. that goes for ultracam also. with 452x and ultracam its a good idea to wax the served part of your strings and cables also and rub them down. the silicon will seep through the serving and penetrate the string underneath. after i've finished waxing and rubbing i take a piece of tanned deer hide and wrap it around the string and rub it up and down the string. it removes extra wax. depending on how much you shoot, and if you can make it a whole year without nicking them up or damaging them, i'd say replace them once a year. bgfisher is very experienced and he's been doing this a long time. until you're as knowledgable as him i'd spend the extra $ on a new cable each year also. why? it ain't gonna hurt and its safe. personally i can't get through a year with 1 set. i'll nick the cable with a broadhead or do some other such nonsense or just wear em out.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a good one for ya-----Take a piece of leather and rub the wax in with it instead of your fingers.You will generate more heat with the leather causing the wax to melt into the string.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 AM

actually, if you get it too hot the wax inside the string will melt and rise to the surface of the string, effectively drying out the center of the string. its the last process in building a string, to burn the wax out of it the way you stated so the fibers lay real close together. then you put wax back in it.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gibblet

i wax every few times i shoot. if your string is made out of 8125 rubbing after you wax until it feels hot is good. if you use 452x you just want it warm. 452x also likes waxing more because of its vectran content. that goes for ultracam also. with 452x and ultracam its a good idea to wax the served part of your strings and cables also and rub them down. the silicon will seep through the serving and penetrate the string underneath. after i've finished waxing and rubbing i take a piece of tanned deer hide and wrap it around the string and rub it up and down the string. it removes extra wax. depending on how much you shoot, and if you can make it a whole year without nicking them up or damaging them, i'd say replace them once a year. bgfisher is very experienced and he's been doing this a long time. until you're as knowledgable as him i'd spend the extra $ on a new cable each year also. why? it ain't gonna hurt and its safe. personally i can't get through a year with 1 set. i'll nick the cable with a broadhead or do some other such nonsense or just wear em out.

Sounds like you might make your own. I'd like to. How tough is it and what kind of cost do you think a guy be looking at?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:33 PM

depends on how good a jig you want. i don't think there is too much argument that the yellowstone is the best. its around $290 + $35 in shipping. the micro-stretcher so you can serve with the string under high tension is another $100. the beiter serving tool is $40, and trust me its worth every penny. 1/4 lb spool of 452x is $47. 8125 is like $37. you'll want 2 colors. and the end serving and center serving stuff is about $10 a spool. then you'll need a winner's choice and a vapor trail to reverse engineer to pick up the tricks you won't learn on the videos. it doesn't take a long time to 'get it', but it will take time and lots of thrown away strings and cables.

Quick Reply: String Care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.