Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

If push came to shove

Old 09-11-2002, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If push came to shove

For those who have used both fixed and mechanical heads successfully, if you could only choose one to use from here on out, which would it be and why?

Old 09-11-2002, 10:33 AM

Default RE: If push came to shove

Good question rangeball!
I am only a fixed head shooter so I can't answer but I am looking forward to reading the responses!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would probably stick with mechanicals because I am primarily a deer hunter and they are consistent no matter if the wind is blowing or not. Not to mention they don't require any change to my setup once it is tuned and the sights are set and the damage they cause is devestating. I feel confident that I could take any game on this continent with them if I supplied the right KE with my well tuned set up.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:38 AM

I use Shockwave 100s and Muzzy 3blade 100s interchangeably, however if I could only use one it would be Muzzy, as the shockwaves really can't be used with my setup on larger animals. No complaints with either head, and I enjoy the benefits of the Shockwave on smaller game, but the Muzzy would work on just about anything. If I was only gonna hunt game under say, 250lbs, I'd go with the Shockwave for the larger cut and better flight in less than ideal Nov weather conditions.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 09-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am too, Greg. But before we start questioning someones motives in their response and "discussing" their viewpoints, let's let some feedback build up so we can discuss the common pro's that arise . We all have our strong feelings in this issue, and I'm an advocate of fixed blades, currently, but I'm beginning to wonder if on game performance is similar (pass through), doe mechanicals offer any inherent advantages over a fixed head?

For instance, some things I've been wondering about in this issue, is the wound "channel" produced by a spinning steelhead upon penetration superior to a fixed blades, or is it hype? Larger entrance and exit wounds should aid blood tracking. Will this wound channel give one a larger margin of error on a less than perfect hit? Lot's of crap running through my mind

I'm hoping that everyone who reads this thread and is a poster not a lurker (although their input is welcome to) will give this serious thought and let us know what it is.

Edited by - Rangeball on 09/11/2002 11:45:43
Old 09-11-2002, 10:46 AM

I have killed deer succesfully with both, but only one deer with a mechanical. That one was two years ago. I shot the deer in the ribs at 5 yards with a very well tuned, 70 lb, 29" draw, single cam and did not get a pass through. I'm back to fixed blades for good. They have never failed me and I was less than impressed with the penetration on the mechanical. There are probably some effective mechanicals out there, but I'm done experimenting. Fixed blades have penetrated very well on my shots, and I'm able to get them to fly accurately to well beyond my shooting range. So for me, fixed blades are exactly what I will be using from here on out.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I am too, Greg. But before we start questioning someones motives in their response and &quot;discussing&quot; their viewpoints, <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I agree and as for me questioning someones motives, I hope that hasn't come across in my posting on this forum as that isn't my intention. I built my set-up for Elk sized critters knowing full well it will work going down in size and for me that is the why of my belief. If someone else is only hunting Whitetail sized critters then mechs should work GREAT for them.

Just a follow up to your post

Sitting back now!

Greg

&quot;Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus.&quot;

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've played around with both mechs & fixed blade heads. I can get the same accuracy with fixed blades as mechs. The biggest difference I see is mechs may be more forgiving farther out. By this I mean form or release errors. Inside 30 yds I get no better accuracy with either. My personal limit is 25 yds, so I'll shoot fixed blades as I have more confidence in them.

Phil.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-11-2002, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps I should metion, I'm not talking about ALL mechanicals or ALL fixed heads, but proven successful ones with stellar penetration and flight characteristics (such as Muzzy, Steelforce, Steelheads and Snypers to name a few).

I've killed a deer in the past with a large diameter cut Wasp Jackhammer with a less than desired KE bow set up, but did not get a pass through, so I wouldn't use them again, even though I'm now shooting a high performance bow. But we see glowing penetration reports of both Muzzy and Steelheads so often, I guess where I'm going with this is if flight and penetration qualities are equal, but you must choose only one, which would it be, fixed or mechanical?

Quick Reply: If push came to shove

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.