Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy troubles

Old 09-10-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Muzzy troubles

I know what you guys are thinking, it can't be! And I'm sure it's not, I just need help. I shoot a Hoyt Mt Sport (not the problem, I love it) at 66 lbs, 244 fps, PSE Dominator 300's at 28 1/2 inches long.

I've been shooting feildpoints all spring and summer and have this thing shooting perfect, good arrow flight everytime, shoots thru paper very well. The problem is when I started shooting Muzzy 100's a couple weeks ago they were mostly shooting low by about 4-5 inches at 20 yards and some of them to the left 3-4 inches. I have about a dozen and a half arrows and I think I tried all combinations of broadhead and arrow. I have gotten to the point of finding 5 that all shoot low, and do this consistantly. I know I can adjust my sight and be right back in the ballpark, but it drives me crazy that I need to do that. Does anyone have any other suggestions

Going on my first elk hunt in 9 days 6 hours and 43 minutes.......
Old 09-10-2002, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Muzzy troubles

Bones,
I heard a guy talking at the local shop about just that very same dilemma.
The honco at the shop suggested changing just the TIP out on the Muzzy and that has worked well for him in the past.
Hope this helps and good luck this season!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:34 PM

For the highs/lows adjust your nocking point in very small increments
up/down until you get the nocking point setup right, as for the rights/lefts move your rest in/out in very small increments until you find the right setting for you rest. This might take a little time to do, but the results will be worth it. Remember to just move the rest, and nocking point a very small amount, 1/16 to 1/8of an inch, at a time. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown

Old 09-11-2002, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

What type of fletching are you using? Is it fletched straight, or helical. If your bow is tuned, and you have the properly spined arrow, and all of your arrows are put together in a way that the broadheads do not "wobble" when spinning them, then It's probalby lack of fletching control.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you need to lower your nocking point very slightly until both broadheads and field tips inpact the same .

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 09-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Bones25,
Have you spin tested your arrows and BH's? This should be your first step. Your inserts could be slightly off, this will wreck havoc with arrow/broadhead flight. Let us know if any of these suggestions work.
Trebark

Become one with nature...then grill it.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:36 AM

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a tuning and spine issue. I eventually changed to a 7g grain muzzy and that corrected the problem. I'd focus on the arrow spine. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

It does sound like you need to lower your nock point a little to bring the broadheads up some, but I think your main problem is you are shooting the lowest grade arrow PSE makes. Straightness of +/-.006". Fine for plinking around with field points but broadheads...??

Also, how long has it been since you changed your nocks? Nocks get worn out and will cause inconsistent arrow flight and poor accuracy. Hardly anyone ever thinks about their nocks and they are one of the most important parts of the arrow.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Auther,
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I was shooting Muzzys, Wasp, & Thunderheads off of .006" arrows, Bass ProShop's RedHead Carbon Supremes, and all three brands of BH's were grouping with my field points out to 45yds. As a matter of fact, the RedHead arrows shoot right along side of my Carbon Epress Terminator Selects, a .003" arrow. Makes me wonder if it's worth it to pay extra for the three more thousandths of straightness!??
Good Hunting
Trebark

Become one with nature...then grill it.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:55 PM

Too tight/loose nocks, or bow timing can effect also. Isn't this stuff fun!

Quick Reply: Muzzy troubles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.