Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anyone going back to aluminum?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone going back to aluminum?

The pic is on www.archerytalk.com general dis. I this tread there is a pic of the carbon arrow in the hand and on the next page there is a pic of a alumimun arrow in someones had I think it is alot worse looking than the carbon. I think you need to look your arrows over whether it be carbons or aluminum.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont carbons lose spine after a year or so of regular use? Aluminums dont, right? Well I dont have enough money to drop $100 on arrows every year, plus have to throw half of them away because some of them arent the right spine or whatever.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never left the aluminums. I tried carbons and have no confidence in them whatsoever for hunting. Aluminum arrow are exceptionally straight, easy to tune and more kinetic energy then there carbon couterpart. My choice, XX78 Super Slams in 2514.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dont carbons lose spine after a year or so of regular use? Aluminums dont, right? Well I dont have enough money to drop $100 on arrows every year, plus have to throw half of them away because some of them arent the right spine or whatever.
Aluminum will also eventually degrade over time and continuous shooting. If you flex something like an arrow enough times it will eventually begin to degrade over time.

The price thing is a non issue any more. There are way too many high quality carbon arrows that cost about the same or less than an aluminum of the same straightness. A gold tip XT runs about $80 per dozen and a XX75 Real Tree runs about $70 per dozen fletched with vanes.

Manufacturers are constantly improving the techniques of making carbon shafts. Spine is just as consistant on many of the newer carbon shafts as it is on aluminum shafts.

Many carbon arrows are weight matched to 1 to 3 grains. Aluminum shafts are weight matched to 2 - 5 grains.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Aluminums..

.. f______* k th_______a a t
Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 AM

The picture was useful to remind us of the need to inspect our arrows, but not to cause panic for something that statistically almost never happens. People are mangled and even killed in cars everyday. How many quit using cars because of it? Heck, thousands of people die from eating too many twinkies (read heart disease), and few give it a second thought. We should keep this in perspective.

Here's what I do to help protect against this type of accident. I shoot arrow that are at least 8-9 grains per inch and that are a bit stiff with spine. This gives me an arrow that is less likely to break in any given situation. Also, if the arrow hits another, the ground or a hard object, I inspect it. I've probably shot a carbon arrow a 1/2 million times with nothing even close to that happening. I'm more likely to have a serious injury getting out of bed.

We face much greater risks everyday, in all aspects of our life. Why get paranoid about our arrows?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard of a guy in Pa who got an arrow in his hand about a month ago , The story was that he shot a pig or havlina in texas the week before and had not checked his arrows , took a shot on the leage course , and the arrow missed the target , the next shot the arrow broke 8" from the nock and went into his bow hand , doing quit a bit of damage . They were carbon express 100's and Ill bet he was way underspined , not sure on his setup .
Old 02-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

I never left XX75, couldn't see a reason to.
Gselkhunter
Old 02-25-2005, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

After seeing those spooky pictures of the poor guys hand that was skewered with the carbon arrow that failed anybody thinking of switching to aluminums? Makes you think
You obviously didn't see the picture of the ALUMINUM arrow going through some guy's hand.[:-]
Old 02-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is this about everyone talking about the Carbon Express arrows.The guy in the pics was shooting the CX 300 that exploded into his hand and 2 others on this forum are talking about the CX 100 busting.Are these the only arrows everyone is having problems with.I never hear any bad things about the Gold Tips or Eastons(Beamens)etc.
I have the CX 300 for my setup and have never had a problem with them,But I also inspect mine everytime I shoot and they are matched for my setup.
Just what is it with the Carbon Express Arrows?

Quick Reply: Anyone going back to aluminum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.