Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw lenght vs. Arrow lenght

Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Draw lenght vs. Arrow lenght

savedbygrace:

I just can't believe the misdirection and lack of complete information you've been given so far. Hopefully someone will come up with some better guidance.

I know a few that posted know better and just overlooked the obvious.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 PM

I shoot whatever the bow wants. When I buy arrows I shot them at full length, with 3 arrows and 3 bareshafts. I cut the arrows until the bareshaft hits with the field points. This season I shot full length 340's with 125 grain broadheads, because I wanted the heavier arrow (This is what it took to make the arrows weak enough). The only other way to tune a bow is to cut the arrows to length, then adjust the draw weight hoping that you didn't cut off too much. You have to shoot whatever arrow length, broadhead weight, and draw weight the bow wants to shoot.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 30" draw and my pro shop cuts all his customers arrows at the flush end of the riser. So my arrows are 30" too. I like it cuz it makes it almost impossible to cut and fingers off.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is no rule of thumb or any way to figure it with our actually nocking an arrow and drawing your bow.

It depends on what type of rest you will be using, where that rest is positioned, how big (diameter) are your broadheads and if you are using fingers or mechanical release.

You said that you were going to install a drop away rest. You need the arrow to be long enough so the broadhead will clear the bows shelf when the rest lifts the arrow.

Get your rest put on and timed correctly.

Draw back a nocked arrow and have a friend mark the arrow 1/4 - 1/2 inch in front of the riser when the rest just reaches fully up position. You will likley not be at full draw yet.

This is how long you need an arrow to be with a drop away rest. It will assure you that your arrow is long enough to avoid the broadhead contacting the riser before the rest raises the arrow.

After you know how long you need to have your arrows cut you can then procede to choose the correctly spined shaft and broadhead weight for your set up.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:41 AM

28 3/4" drawlength, 28 3/4" arrows.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:47 AM

Original question:
A guy @ a bow shop is going to put a drop away rest on for me & he said I needed to cut off 2 inches on each arrow. Does this sound right?
Bigbulls gave a good explanation concerning set-up and proper arrow selection in the following post:
There is no rule of thumb or any way to figure it with our actually nocking an arrow and drawing your bow.

It depends on what type of rest you will be using, where that rest is positioned, how big (diameter) are your broadheads and if you are using fingers or mechanical release.

You said that you were going to install a drop away rest. You need the arrow to be long enough so the broadhead will clear the bows shelf when the rest lifts the arrow.

Get your rest put on and timed correctly.

Draw back a nocked arrow and have a friend mark the arrow 1/4 - 1/2 inch in front of the riser when the rest just reaches fully up position. You will likley not be at full draw yet.

This is how long you need an arrow to be with a drop away rest. It will assure you that your arrow is long enough to avoid the broadhead contacting the riser before the rest raises the arrow.

After you know how long you need to have your arrows cut you can then procede to choose the correctly spined shaft and broadhead weight for your set up.
[b]What seems to have been missed is the basic question: "A guy @ a bow shop is going to put a drop away rest on for me & he said I needed to cut off 2 inches on each arrow. "

Assuming he is properly tuned, he can't let someone just arbitrarily cut 2" off his arrow. If it was tuned to the bow by the "other" shop, cutting off 2" will most likely destroy his tune.[/b
]
Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Len. Arrow length greatly effects tune and spine. If you arrows were flying well out of your bow with the old rest, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Re-tune with the new rest and trim if needed. You will also need to consider the length with respect to your broadheads, as Bigbulls mentioned.

I shoot a 29.5" OG with a trophy taker and my arrows are currently just over 30". They are flying well, so I leave them alone. I will be setting up some new arrows for 3D and will be playing with length. You can always trim more, you can never add it back.

Start long and tune the arrows.

JMAC