Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BCS string/cable change - WARNING

Old 02-23-2005, 06:56 AM

Default BCS string/cable change - WARNING

WARNING

Anyone twisting cables or strings on the Binary Cam System should be VERY careful. Doing so can change let-off drastically to the point where you'll get the bow LOCKING at full draw. It would be the same as if you removed the draw stop, which is a NO NO, and documented by a tag on the bow and in the Owner's Manual.

If it would happen to you, DON'T PANIC. You would need help to get the bow to let down. It happened to my bow Tech and luckily he knew better than to let off the string. It was easy for us to get it down because we moved it to a tool that I designed. We let it down easily with the tool. Most wouldn't have that luxury.

If this were to happen to you and you would panic, letting go of the string could result in a dry fire. Dry fires can damage the bow, but moreso could hurt you. This would never happen unless you removed the draw stop or changed the cables/string length.

PREVENTIVE ACTION: If you do change string or cables, a way to prevent 'lock up' from happening would be to move the draw stop to a much lower let-off. You could then move the draw stop up to a higher let-off once you checked the amount of let-off on a bow scale.

This is not meant to scare anyone. The BCS is a very safe and great new cam system. Like with many mechanical products in the world, there are warnings issued about doing certain things that could cause adverse situations. Think about how many warning labels are on products we buy every day.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BCS string/cable change - WARNING

We should try to keep this post at the top of the order for a few days--it ain't a good feeling damaging a new bow., or more so injuring yourself.
Hey Len--know ya got to feed the family--how about feeding me some info too and tell me what that majic tool is .
I will have my apple press on standby if the BCS locks up at full draw, but a portable will certainly be helpful.
Time to get WWAG in here.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 PM

Hey Len did those thirty inchers come in yet???
Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the excellent info.
Insatiable
Old 02-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len, I may already know the answer to this, but since you're the guy I look to for these sort of answers I'll ask.

How many twist does it take to really mess something up? The only reason I"m asking is that I put one twist in my string the other day to get my peep to line up. I read through my manual carefully and this is what they recommended.

On another note, I have been shooting my Allegiance for about a week now and everything seems to have settled in nicely. The strings and harnesses seemed to have stretched a very very small amount, but I attribute that to settling more than actual stretch. What I noticed is, that my timing marks on the top and bottom cam have moved exactly the same amount since I got the bow. Looks like this hoopla of equaling each other is holding true for these bows.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

In other words.....read, understand and follow your manual.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:27 PM

I made this post for the purpose of informing Dealers as well as others. It is a new system and, unlike most other systems, has this problem.

It happened to us when changing cams from one bow to the other. My Tech had forgotten that he had put some twist in one bow. Evidently the tolerances were enough to cause this to happen. It can be prevented as I mentioned.

The Owner's Manual covers this topic; but, how many don't read the Owner's Manual. I'm very guilty on this subject.

Very rare as this occurrence may be, bringing attention to it may help a fellow archer.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very rare as this occurrence may be, bringing attention to it may help a fellow archer.
ABSOLUTELY.

Of course we are all still waiting for "that" guy who just has to see for himself to post........"Hey, I took my draw stop peg out on my new Allegiance and I have a bit of a problem"[:-]
Not to mention he'll have typed it with his toes because he's scared to death to let go of the string.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

ABSOLUTELY.

Of course we are all still waiting for "that" guy who just has to see for himself to post........"Hey, I took my draw stop peg out on my new Allegiance and I have a bit of a problem"[:-]
Not to mention he'll have typed it with his toes because he's scared to death to let go of the string.

Umm, This has already happened... Just so happens it was the very day we put the Equalizer Binary Cam System link on the home page. The person read the information and decided to see what would happen if they removed the stop...It locked up at 100% let off just like it said would happen...Imagine that...
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just out of curiousity, exactly how do the cams lockup at full draw? How is this possible on the Equalizer cam system and not on a typical dual, single or hybrid cam? I have only recently gotten my hands on some Equalizer cam bows and have not yet had the time to begin tinkering with them.

Thank you ahead of time.

Quick Reply: BCS string/cable change - WARNING

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.