Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BCS string/cable change - WARNING

Old 02-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BCS string/cable change - WARNING

Sniper151... maybe your beloved Hoyt should redesign their bows so that the risers don't bend when you put them in a press the same way you do any other bow. Why should they need a special design press or pressed w/ a certain method? Why does it go out of time if you twist the cables equally like you would on any other 2 cam bow? Oh yeah.. because they're different and require different methods of tuning. How many Hoyt Tec risers do you think have been bent before it was discovered that the design is really prone to bending in a press if not pressed properly.

At least Bowtech let the public know ahead of time and even included it in the owners manual. The draw stop fine tunes the draw length and letoff... if it is removed the tension will continue to move from the string to the cables untill the load is completely on the cables... IE 100% letoff.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Nevermind
Old 02-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyway you look at it, these bows are the talk this year. The only thing close is the Mathews Switchback. That's also gonna make them the target of criticism, reasonable or not. Since I've never had a draw stop come loose on any I-cam bow, I've got to agree witih the idea that it is unlikely to come loose, and would make enough vibration to be noticeable if it did. That said, there are quite a few guys out there that might have to apply for the "Potential Dumbass Waiver." It would be possible, and IMO, not that difficult to put a conventional draw stop type flat in the cable tracks at perhaps 85% letoff, that would prevent "locked at 100% letoff" problems. You could still use the limb stop to adjust the real letoff between 80 and 65%, and get that rock solid wall. It would just eliminate one potential problem and reduce the complaints to the more usual "Why do you sponsor Nascar and Bull Ridin'?"
Old 02-28-2005, 06:35 PM

It's impossible to make anything idiot proof because idiots are so ingenius.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with some of what ewolf and sniper wrote.Lot's of folks have bowpresses and work on bows,some should and some probably shouldn't.I don't think that the dumba** stuff is a wise assumption,it's more like ignorance.They are two different things.I haven't heard anything about hoyt risers bending either,I have had several hoyts,mathews,martins and brownings,PSE's and others in the same press and never had a problem.More bow company bashing.Those warning labels and tags wear off after a while,and what about if you buy one of these used?I think that the idea does need to be re thought.String stretch and fine tuning your string is part of it, and if you can't do it I think it's a problem.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: KBacon

Sniper151... maybe your beloved Hoyt should redesign their bows so that the risers don't bend when you put them in a press the same way you do any other bow.
They only bend when you put the rollers on the truss. That should be common sense. However, common sense doesn't run wild on these boards.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

KBacon I agree with ewolf. Some people should just stay away from a bow press. As for the string twisting. Measure your string from the nock to the top cam and nock to bottom cams. See any difference? There are also people who shouldn't twist the strings to tune bows.
[:-]
Old 03-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ewolf

ORIGINAL: KBacon

Sniper151... maybe your beloved Hoyt should redesign their bows so that the risers don't bend when you put them in a press the same way you do any other bow.
They only bend when you put the rollers on the truss. That should be common sense. However, common sense doesn't run wild on these boards.
Well there you have it... Common sense tells me NOT to remove the "DRAW STOP". After all, it does what it's designed to do, it stops the draw cycle. Pretty easy to understand if you think about it.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:06 AM

I have been too 3 different bowshops that carry this line. Only one sales person knew of the problem and only one shop had the warning sticker still on the string (And he BASHED that cam for about 15 minutes before showing me the infinity and freedom cam bows. Well, they bashed all non single cam bows.) This, is a problem as most people I know do not read the manual (They should) and most bows this isn't a problem. If the dealers aren't educated enough to educate their sales people than this is more of an ignorance part on the string twister and less of a moronic.

Is it a design flaw? I guess it all depends on how you want to look at it. If operated correctly it is not a design fault. If the dealers warn you of the ramifications it is not a design fault. You don't put gasoline in your deseil engine, you shouldn't launch 3.5 grains per pound arrows out of a bow and a whole bunch of other comon sense thing.. The big problem is the lack of information that the dealers are handing out to people. No, it is not mistake proof and I suppose you can see that as a design flaw but I look at as more of a dealer/salesman flaw right now. I don't shoot the brand, didn't find that cam system nearly as pleasent to shoot as some other systems but I have shot many worse systems too. Too each their own.