Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BCS string/cable change - WARNING

Old 02-27-2005, 08:22 PM

Default RE: BCS string/cable change - WARNING

You don't send warning sheets and mark the danger point. you CORRECT the problem by reengineering the fault.
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. This is not a "fault" to correct as the binary cam by design will go to 100% letoff without the draw stop in place. If you don't like the concept then don't buy one but you are missing out on one sweet shooter that is fast and quiet as well, nothing to re-engineer.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost like installing VW brakes on a Suburban. Just don't plan on stopping to quick. Tell you what happened. They spent big bucks on a cam that came up short. Rather than spend the money to redesign the cam the install stops. WoW[:'(]
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Almost like installing VW brakes on a Suburban. Just don't plan on stopping to quick. Tell you what happened. They spent big bucks on a cam that came up short. Rather than spend the money to redesign the cam the install stops. WoW Oh! don't worry I'll stick with a winner, HOYT.[:'(]
Old 02-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell you what happened. They spent big bucks on a cam that came up short. Rather than spend the money to redesign the cam the install stops. WoW
Why, because a company expects someone to follow simple directions? Give me a break.
Do you own one? Have you looked closely at the design? Have you seen and felt the performance?
I know, you shoot "Another brand" right?. *nevermind you answered that question....there's a shock.

Why don't you explain exactly how this cam system comes up short since you are obviously an expert on them?

God forbid we actually expect a person to be responsible for their actions.....wow there's a new concept in this sue happy age.
If a person can understand that the only way they can lock these cams out is to basically ignore all info provided and remove the stop peg entirely,OR to mess with the string and cable lengths. Both of which it clearly states don't do. There is ZERO danger of using these bows above or beyond any other bow on the market,so is there a reason you are trying to make it out to be a handgrenade?
If you do something very wrong, and contrary to the clear written instructions on both the bow AND the manual, you wind up with locked out cams and a need for a bow press to unlock them.......not thermo nuclear detonation.

Every bow manual states how many turns a person should turn their limb bolts out to avoid popping a limb........oooohhh, maybe we should re-engineer limb bolts so that we can't be responsible for turning them ourselves because we might mess up our bow.Boy I guess all bow companies are falling short on limb bolt design.

Maybe Mathews should include a warning that says "Hey don't stick your head in between the string and cables when you release an arrow, your neck might get locked at 100%."

Maybe Hoyt should include a warning sticker that says "Release the string not the bow"
Old 02-27-2005, 10:03 PM

I had my draw stop move twice on my constitution in 3 weeks. The vibration of the bow was simply allowing the screw to come lose. imagine if it were to vibrate out.

The system did come up short in my mind.
1. I thought the draw sucked. Pulling 50 pounds was harder than pulling 55 on other bows.
2. The FPS was not near what the factory stated it to be. (My Hoyt was 3 FPS faster than stated in IBO rating, PSE was 2)
3. Hand shock was not terrible, but it wasn't great. (I would assume the long riser is the cause of it)
4. I'm sure I will get pissed on for this but I'm going to hunt with a .357 Mag to keep down on noise. I have a PSE nova (2001) that was 200 bucks as a package that was silent compared to my Con. (Also seemed to be a product of the longer riser, OG and others were whisper quiet) Bowtech said it was good.[:-]
5. Not being able to adjust the draw length SUCKS. [:'(]
6. Resell value was also bad.

My guess is Bowtech will go back to the drawing board with this one. I don't think they will start fresh, they will simply make some changes to what they have, they have a good start.

Flame me I don't care, I'm tired of this more people shoot bowtech so bowtech must be the best attitude that is on this board.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know enough mechanical engineering to realize that when you have a 100% let off, or 80% if the pin is installed, the force to initiate the cam is slight at 80% to zero or zilch. If any adjustments are performed on the string or cable you have 100% let off or lockup. Say your little buffer stop falls off or brakes. Do you have enough energy in the other cam to initiate rollover? If so, the probability of the string jumping the top cam is certain. The top cam should have an extended lobe or compression stop. This would also create enough static tension and lateral force between the cams and limbs for a dead stop at full draw and smooth roll over when engaged . I'm always suspicious when I see an added appendage on a completed project like their little STOP. Without removing the SAFETY PIN, the bow can be locked by twisting the strings. As I'm sure your will agree, this is a common technique in fine tuning a bow to a shooters correct draw length. You have now removed the initiation of force and eliminated a tuning tool. If you will be so kind as to enlighten me as to what advantages there may be on this setup it would be greatly appreciated. If this system is still offered on next years lineup from Bowtech I may have to reconsider. Maybe it was not a mistake, just poor engineering from the start.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Let me get this straight. Glue on grips, a cam system that locks out if you touch the string and or cable for $600 to almost $800 bucks! You don't send warning sheets and mark the danger point. you CORRECT the problem by reengineering the fault. Bowtech sounds like an entry level bow for a premium price.[][:'(]
I've played with the cable and string lengths on mine just tonight and did more than I usually would to my Duallys and it never really changed much. I could tell that there was an increase in let off after 5 twists of each cable and it didn't change my point of impact so I just put it back where it was. I've got two of these bows now and they sure DON'T need re-engineering! Preformance is great and they are very forgiving to shoot and very quiet.
I'm not scared of mine, but I've been working on these things for more than 33 years
Some people probably just shouldn't be buying a compound bow of any kind though
Old 02-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe BT should include a a special "I'm a potential dumbass" waiver that all new customers are required to sign before purchase?

I just got to shoot these bows for the first time over the weekend..impressive to say the least. I'm not sure anyting has to be re-engineered, but I suspect there really should be a big effort by BT's sales folks to ensure that the typical dealer (and down the line, the customer) is educated on the new cam systems particulars. Most dealers are as inept as the typical customer, and the orange stickers will be forgotten about soon after they are discarded, if they are even read to begin with

Educational DVD should come with every bow...don't fill it with crap like hunting videos and "funny" TV commercials or trivial things like where to put the stirng silencers...people need a serious in-depth video owners manual. Educate the masses.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sniper, the "added appendage" IS the draw stop. It IS part of the initial design, just as the stop on the N and F cams is. Don't some other bow manufacturers use an "added appendage"? Re: the stop falling out, I suspect there would be enough noise created by the loose piece to get the attention of anyone shooting the bow. And anyone pulling the bow back hard enough to break it, well..... Your statement that adjustments to the string or cable result in lock up is also wrong, to a degree. I suppose if someone was foolish enough to see how far the cables or string needed to be twisted to achieve lock up, they could accomplish it. But normally acceptable twists added to, or removed from, the strings is not a problem. Draw length can be fine tuned in this cam system by adjusting string and cable length. As with any new system, there is the learning curve re: what you may or may not do, within the limits of the system. That, I'm sure, as much as anything compels BowTech to issue the warnings. In recent times, it appears the public needs to be protected from itself. People do some unbelievably stupid things that absolutely fly in the face of common sense. I get the feeling you make your assumptions without having looked, or shot, the new BowTechs. I think shooting them would make you reconsider your position. Maybe.
ewolf, you might try tightening the draw stop. Mine has not loosened in the two months I've been shooting it. And I never had one loosen on any other bow with a draw stop.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:40 AM

I'll add to Phils comments that this draw stop post and groove are the exact same part on all the Infinity and Freedom cams, thousands of them and no one has comlpained of it shooting loose.

Quick Reply: BCS string/cable change - WARNING

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.