Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with speed

Old 02-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help with speed

I understand about the "keep it simple for him" right now and I wasn't trying to imply that he didn't have "enough" to get the job done but if the chrono is right and everything else he has told us is right and he is only getting 215 with his set up something isn't right with the bow.

You know that it will sit in the back of his mind and bug the crap out of him until he gets it right and as we all know confidence in your equipment is a big thing in archery.

Not that he isn't going to be able to kill deer, or even elk for that matter, the way it is right now but I personally would want my bow performing like it was suppose to. Even if I were a "new guy". He paid a lot of money for this bow and I just think he should be getting what he paid for.

Kind of like buying a truck and only having 6 of the eight cylinders firing. I want all 8 firing while driving down the road.

I have a phoenix 32 and can tell you this bow is certainly capable of achieving much higher speed than he is getting.

BTW, you did pi$$ me off now BG. Just kidding, no offense taken. We're all here to learn.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:16 PM

Well GREAT News. I went back to the archery shop today and they tole me I couldnt get any more poundage out of the bow than 64. So I called cabelas and they tried to tell me my speed was fine and I should nt get involved in reading the specs. Well I waited for a new shift and the next guy said bring it on in, we have a new one and illswitch things over and give you that. So, I got a brand new bow. I will not have a chance to get it clocked until next week but I will tell you guys what it shoots at the same weight. Atleast this one goes to 70lb, I checked. I also got an impact archery air light single pin for 22 plus tax. I had cabelas points and I got a free 15 for a credit card sign up so I am pretty pumped up. That sight was 80$. Well thanks guys I will keep ya posted the next time i shoot this new bow to tell you what speed I am getting with the same rig and arrows just a new bow
Old 02-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

realmf, now you've thrown more to think about into the equation. Got a new bow that goes to 70lbs, right? Are you going to shoot it at 70lbs. If you are or plan to in the future you have to have slightly heavier arrows than you'd shoot at 64lbs. And stiffer spined most likely. Just think about it before you lay down the cash. If you keep your total arrow weight around 350 grains you'll be fine, even at the higher weight. Now you're going to ask about what arrows, right? To save us a lot of writing you can log onto www.bowjackson.com and use their interactive sharts to figure what arrows might work for you. They list several different brands and models. All you gotta do is plug in the figures such as point weight, feathers or vanes, etc and it'll punch it all out for you. Narrow your choices down and then ask us which we'd choose.

And yes, you can shoot feathers through a Whisker bisquit. Most guys shoot vanes, but feathers will work OK. They may get a little frayed along the edges in time but even at that they will steer the arrow well. Heck I just shot a 3D course yesterday and finished the last half dozen targets with an arrow that only had two feathers on it. It's a lot about proper bow tuning.

Bigbulls, you're OK in my book. Just glad we have some mutual respect. It sometimes gets put aside in the fray. And I certainly relize that your opinion is as valuable as mine. Yes, we can learn from each other as well.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

At least now he can gradually up the poundage as his muscles develope and he grows into the sport with out having to buy a new bow or new limbs.

I'm glad that they decided to replace it for you. Keep us posted.

You're OK in my book too BG.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that's sweet customer service (from the second shift).
Good luck with the second bow. I'm sure you'll surpass 215fps easily.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls, this is getting sickening. Thank god we don't have to kiss and make up------YUK.

You know, all I think was wrong with his other bow is that the string and cable needed twisted up to put more prestress on the limbs. But hey, what the heck, now he's got what he wants----and as you said so eloquently, he paid for.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I just got back from the shop. I took a 60# P-34 off the rack and set it up to chrono. Changed the module out and installed a P2 for 26" draw. Installed a Whisker Bisquit rest, eyeballed centershot and used a level to set the nocking point. Weight was right on 60#. I shot two different arrows through the chrony. The results were about what I expected.

A Vapor 4000 weighing 380gr grain slowpoked its way through at 238fps. The next shaft was an X7, 2312 with 50 gr tip and 2" feathers. That doesn't matter. The arrow eighed 330 grains, total. This clipped through at 252fps. Now considering that the bisquit was for carbons the 2312 was a little snug and no doubt created a bit more drag, I would be conservative and say 255fps would be about right.

Considering that the bow in question is set at 64# (for now), and adding the more common 2fps/lb that aluminum arrow should bust the chrono at just over 260fps. A far cry from the 215fps now being shot.

This is the first time I've shot the P-34. I had a sight and stabilizer on it just like normal folks do. The bow was extremely quiet and pretty much shock free. No more than I get from my SlayR.

Now, does this help any?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:25 PM

Thanks again bgfisher. The new bow is set at 65 lb and i prolly will keep it there. I shot it in the back yard and boy it is flingin em now. I am much more happy to know my bow is doing what I paid for. Now for arrows. I just want a good quality hunting arrow. I went to that sight but was a little confused on some things. I guess I could just go up to my pro shop and ask them what I should shoot. Thanks for all the help, and if you do have an suggestions on hunting arrows they will be put to use.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you get to a chrono shoot the same arrows through it and post what you get for speed.

Just curious to know.

I took a 60# P-34 off the rack and set it up to chrono. Changed the module out and installed a P2 for 26" draw.
BG, can you set it up to shoot with a 28 inch draw and 64 pounds to see what that bow gets through the chrono?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Ill let you know early next week. I will shoot same arrow , lbs, and same chrono

Quick Reply: Help with speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.