Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dental floss

Old 02-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dental floss

If it is good enough for tying in peep sights it should be good enough for using as a nocking point
Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 AM

Leverdude, you ask what makes the other stuff better, it was made for that specific purpose. Dental floss will work, I said I would only use it in a pinch. I am probably correct in saying that you don't use serving material everyday to floss your teeth, but in a pinch you could. It is just my opinion that there is better stuff out there.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use waxed floss for tying in my peep. I've never tried it for tying nocks. Bet that would work though.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

Ash,

I get where your coming from & understand your view. If the floss doesnt last long I'll buy somethng different.
Its been my experience that alot of times something can be put in a different package & given a different name & people will spend more on it even if its the same.
In otrher words, if I manufacture dental floss for the sole purpose of serving things onto bowstrings & market it as such then my floss was intended for archers. Doesnt have to cost more to make but people, myself included will spend a few dollars more for it & scoff at the idea of using dental floss.

Thats why I asked what makes it better. Saying to me that its made for archery doesnt answer my question.
Dont get the wrong idea, as I certainly appreciate your input.

Is the serving material stronger? Does it stretch less or hold knots better?
The stuff I cut off my string that the shop used to instal my peep sure looked just like the floss I replaced it with.
Didnt look like serving material, not like the material used for my center serving anyway.

Bear with me as I'm pretty new to all this but like to work on my own stuff as much as possible.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:59 AM

Leverdude, I know there is different grades of serving thread. I know some are very strong and hard to cut, I usually go to my pro shop and ask for a few feet of some good quality serving thread and the charge very little for it if any at all. I have used dental floss to serve in a peep before and it worked fine, I only used it one time. If dental floss was as good or better than serving thread there would be alot of pro shops using it, since floss is alot cheaper.