Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead noise

Old 02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead noise

Contenderman, I wouldn't go messing with your center shot on what I posted. All I'm saying is if the arrow isn't leaving the bow perfectly straight my blazer vaned arrows w/slicktricks would make some noise getting to the target.
The slicktrick is a very foregiving head and may allow your center shot to be slightly off and still hit with your fieldpoints.
You say you tuned your bow with that arrow (and that's what the slicktrick literature tells you to do). One way to check your state of tune is to shoot an arrow at 10 yards, step back to 15, then 20, then 25, then 30. All arrows should be pointing back at you- directly (if your shooting a release).
I use the muzzy 3 blade test before hunting with Mechanicals/slicktricks. If I can get them flying true at 30 yards then I know my other tips are also hitting the target with the arrow directly behind them.

The day I heard the difference I was adjusting my rig's center shot attempting to bring my Fieldpoints and broadheads together. The more I moved my CC out the louder the arrows flight became. It was still slamming the target at 20 yards good, just correcting itself (fishtailing) on it's way there.

With all that posted maybe I'm not hearing the noise because the fastest I've ever flown a slick trick was 272fps.

And to add to what Sniper151 posted- I always make my 4 blade broadheads look like a t on the arrow at full draw and not an X (main or one blade vertical, not diagnal). I doubt this helps any, I just feel better about it. I shoot cock vane up so this gets 1 of the 3 vanes lined up.
Try it, you never know.

Now you've got my curiosity peaked. I will, tomorrow morning, go shoot a slicktricked arrow followed by a 4 blade stinger and listen for any difference. They only go downrange at 255fps out of the rig I'll be using. But that's as good as I can do right now. (my main rig is still in maintenance mode)
Old 02-17-2005, 04:47 AM

i guess i would have to try tuning the bow with the broadheads on despite what any literature said. i haven't found a head yet that hits exactly where my fp's do when optimally tuned. dial in at 20 yds, then back up to 30 and still use your 20 yd pin and aim at the same spot. your arrow should fall directly below, in a vertical line, the one you shot at 20. if your arrows are off left at 30 the arrow rest needs to go to the right, and vice versa. i guess this could also be caused by porposeing. do you have bad nock travel? you could also shoot a horizontal line across your target, if your group varies up and down by an inch or more from 20 yds you could try taking a little off of your bottom limb, like 1/8 of a turn, and see if that fixes it. i shoot blazer's and prefer to put a helical on them, specially for broadheads. i really don't think going no offset, so your arrow is not spinning, will do anything but magnify issues, but i'm wrong lots.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:36 AM

I tried lining up the fletching with the blades this morning, but it's very difficult to line up a 4 blade bh to a 3-fletch arrow. In any case, it didn't work. Then I noticed that the blades were loose on one of the heads while it was installed on the arrow, fixed that....still no joy. I'm really close to going out to buy some muzzy's. Tonight I'm going to try some really heavy arrows (530gr) because I KNOW those arrows are quiet. Maybe I'm just overreacting?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just shot a slicktrick tipped blazer vaned arrow and heard no noise. It was actually quiet while in flight.

Maybe, just maybe, I am tone deaf to the noise you two are hearing.

One thing I've gotta mention. I forgot to spin test this head for wobble when I placed it on the arrow and just made sure it was in my "t" formation before flinging it and wolla- the center of the X it cut was within 3/8" of dead on at 20 yards. Gotta love accuracy like that!

If and when you get your muzzies flying good, try shooting another slicktrick and see if any of the adjustments you made for the muzzies helped the noise your hearing on the slicktricks.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:26 AM

Contender

Let us know how it goes with the heavier arrow. I think you've tried pretty much everything else. [&:]