Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Wear Question - Mathews

Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 AM

Default String Wear Question - Mathews

I've gone through two custom strings from Prostring archery in the last season and a half on my 04 Mathews LX. The serving is separating where it contacts the hard end (let-off) of the cam. After deer season the axle to axle length of the bow was an inch longer (36) than normal. Is this normal wear and tear or could this be a sing of something else (form error, overdrawing, etc.)? Any help would be appreciated and I am considering a string change, maybe Winner's Choice. What about X-coat and roller guards? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Default RE: String Wear Question - Mathews

if you're an inch longer ata that's really weird. the serving seperating a bit is no big deal, although some guys will have a heart attack over it. hard to believe it stretched that much though. imho you should change strings every year, or more if you shoot all the time. its better than a blown up bow. i do know some guys that have been shooting the same one for 3 yrs. would i shoot their bow? no way. i had one pro-string and wasn't pleased, but lots of guys swear by them so go figure.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to talk to Shel at Prostrings, not us. But I do have to ask how you know the ATA changed an inch. Did you actually measure it when you put the new strings on or are you just using the factory specs as a guide?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Serving wear problems on the LX can come with improper idler wheel lean. Even though the wheel leans at rest it needs to come off straight at full draw. I spoke with a mathews tech on this isue as I went through a winners choice string in 2 weeks. I had excessive where on the cam and also under the roller guards. As you look at the back of the bow, put a straight edge along the left side of the idler wheel. The straight edge should bisect the string 4.5-5 inches down the string. The wheel can be adjusted by turning the yoke appropriately to acheive the proper lean. Also the two little holes in the HP cam should be parallel to the string to have the roll over set right. I am sure that you are seeing the wear on the bottom cam where the string comes around. If you own an LX you will know the spot I am talking about( right where the string passes the first edge of the cam). Instead of pulling the string and having it reserved you can spin back the serving material and tie an end knot. Now serve in a short 1.5-2 in piece of serving material over the spot. When this wears all you have to replace is the small section and do not have to go through the tuning process after removing and reserving the string. Improper idler wheel lean will cause the string and cable to rub under the roller guards and also put improper pressure on the bottom cam. I fought this for a long time before I got the answers that I wanted. The LX is a great shooting bow but requires some extra attention when setting it up. My situation even got to the point of my shop owner swapping out parts to find out what was bad. I would try to stay away from the x-coat on the LX. (I was told this by the mathews tech). I have heard of some having problems and others not. I would tend to think that the variable in the equation would be the proper angles being set at the time of string instalation. There is also another wear spot where the hard angle of the string wraps around before conecting to the post. I have noticed that no matter what string it is, this spot will shave off the outside edges of the serving. I kept that area smothered in wax and it seemed to help a bit. I loved the way the bow shot but it seemed like I worked on it more than I should have. If a guy shoots occasionaly he shouldn't see some of these issues, however I put several hundred arrows a week through my bows and this seemed to accelerate the break downs. I have had a new bow now for 2 months and have only had to wax the string. Let us know how you made out!

P.S. I don't think the string had anything to do with the problem.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 AM

I have used WC strings for several years however the last set I purchased was not the quality I had come to expect. I ordered a set of Vapor Trail strings yesterday for an Outback , have heard nothing but good about these strings. A complete set was less than $65. You can aslo pick your colors, no extra charge. http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/
Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. After someresearch here and on the Mathews site I determined that I need to check idler lean, cam timing,etc. Thanks Elkcrazy8 for the information. I printed everything and will try and find a pro-shop in my area. The guys at the store where I bought the bow make me nervous and some of them know less than I do. I feel I could do the work myself but I don't have a press and the old lady might not be to keen on me adding that to the shop right now. Anyway, I think I will seek some professional assistance and maybe get started off right with a new string from Vapor trail. Thanks again for taking the time to respond with some useful information. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem, I had a heck of a time finding out specific information on the topic. You should find that the bow will tune better if the specs are correct.