Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is a used 2004 Darton Typhoon worth?

Old 02-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is a used 2004 Darton Typhoon worth?

I have a 2004 Darton Typhoon that looks new. The only thing I have done to it is change the string to a winners choice. I have the old string as my spare.
I will be going to my local archery shop net weekend to help a friend pick a new bow. He has never shot a bow before. With all of this talk about new bows I am affraid if I shoot one I might buy one.
What would my bow be worth if I traded it for a new bow? I will be looking at Hoyt V-tec & Mathews Switchback. The BowTech bows are not sold around here.

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
Old 02-14-2005, 09:02 AM

Default RE: What is a used 2004 Darton Typhoon worth?

If you trade it at a dealer, probably not much unfortunately. I doubt any dealer is going to give you what you could get selling it on your own. The only way to know is to walk it with it and ask. It may also depend on what bow you are going to buy and how much money you are going to spend.

I don't think dartons have as much resale value as some of the other bows, but that may have changed, I know they sure want more for them now! A good way to know is check out Ebay and see what they are selling for, or Archery Talk, they have a classified section.

I would guess somewhere around the 300 dollar mark, its usaully about half or less then what you paid for it to begin with. Sucks, doesn't it. Honestly though, it's worth whatever you can get out of it. If you wait around long enough you may find someone that is willing to pay what you want.

Paul
Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 AM

I will add that I don't think it would be worth taking the loss on your darton to get a bow that is only a year newer. I don't think the differences will be that big, that bow is pretty nice and the CPS cams are great. Some of the other bows may be bit quieter or have less recoil then a darton does, but that is nothing that can't be fixed with some Simms products. It would be cheaper then taking a loss on your bow and spending what they want on new one.

Unless for some reason you just can't stand your darton or something.

I have a bowtech, and while it's faster then my darton was it's not a hugely better bow or anything. The biggest reason I got it was because I like the grip better. I have little hands and the darton grip was a bit big for me. The Bowtech and hoyts fit my hand much better. However I like the CPS cams on my darton, and it's a 2000 model. And after messing with it I got it VERY quiet and shock free.

Paul
Old 02-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paul thanks for the honest & straight forward reply. I am not in the market for a new bow. The only thing I wish I could change about my Darton is the weight. I will buy a lighter bow next time I buy a new bow. I do not want to take a $300 to $400 dollar hit just to save a little weight.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

My local proshop just offered me $450 for my bow. They told told me a new Hoyt V-tec sells for $750.00. This gives me something to think about?
Do I give them my bow & $300.00. or do I save myself the $300 & the arse kicking I will get from my wife???

I shot the X-tec & the V-tec side-by-side today. The V-tec in my hands felt like it was better balanced than the X-tec. Other than the balance I could not tell the two bows apart. If I trade-in my bow it will be for the V-tec.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hoyt weighs 4 lbs. What's the Typhoon weigh???

(If I's in your shoes I'd probably do it )
Old 02-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure what the darton weights? Feels like a ton at the end of the day. 99% of my hunting is spot & stalk.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't find the Typhoons weight, but the Switchback is 4.34# so you can X it off the list.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There have been a few Typhoons on Ebay in the past few weeks. They seem to be going for $325-400 depending on accessories. That is a big hit if you bought new from most pro shops. I believe the weight is about 4.5-4.6 on the Typhoon, so you will save some weight by going to the Hoyt, but the Switchback will be close to the same weight. I guess you have to ask yourself if the change to a newer "toy" is worth the extra bucks. I got an '04 Tundra in August, and have come to the conclusion that it is all the bow I need for the time being. Love the smooth draw, the performance for the bow's specs (40" ATA and 7.5" brace). Quiet and a great shooter. There are lots of great bows out there though, and it's nice to have one that you are totally happy with.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Darton Typhoon Extreme weights 4.16 #'s.