Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Practice w/Rocket Steelheads???

Old 09-08-2002, 10:10 PM

Default Practice w/Rocket Steelheads???

I made the switch from fixed blades to Rockets Steelheads for this hunting season. I called Rocket to ask about practice blades or if I had to shoot my hunting blades and rubber bands for practice. They told me there was no need to practice with them. They said, "practice with your field points and put your broadheads on the night before your hunt." What do guys think? Anybody have the Steelheads fly different from your field points? If so, is there an alternative to using my hunting blades and rubber bands for practice?

Thanks for the help!
Toby
Old 09-08-2002, 11:14 PM

Default RE: Practice w/Rocket Steelheads???

I PERSONALLY would sacrifice 1 head for practice. Just to be SURE. That said, I would put money on the steelheads going to the same point of impact as the field points.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never had a Steelhead 100 fly differently than my field points. But, even after having said that, I would still buy a pack of replacement blades (around $8 if I remember correctly) and practice with one of the heads if for no other than reason than piece of mind.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:57 AM

I agree with Pa.It has been my experience that they fly well and group the same as your field point's.But game animals are wonderfull creatures,and deserve nothing less than checking them for yourself.My Hammerheads hit the same as my field points,of the same weight,but just a tad higher,like a 1". Good Hunting!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too agree with Frank, would you want to loos a buck of a lifetime becuase you are maybe 1 out of 1000 people who's setup makes the steel heads shoot just enough differnt to make a differnce? I also agree though that every steelhead I have shot has impacted with my field points.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 09-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with everyone else.

I would try to use a target that wouldn't hurt the blades.If shooting into a 3-d target the spiral design on the extremely dense target will sometimes bend the blades after extended use.I havn't had this happen on live game but it does on hard foam.

Try using 2"-3" foam targets and it might take a couple to stop your arrow.Even if they go thru you should have slowed them down enough to retrieve your arrow.The foam isn't as dense and it has worked for me.Tuff Spot by Mckenzie is one I have used.Also a milk jug full of water and a piece of 2" blueboard to back it up works very well.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

I use the 100g steelheads and for me they fly just like a field tip!

Old 09-10-2002, 10:16 AM

Toby, tie/wrap dental floss around your heads - it should last for about 5 shots or so.

When in doubt though, shoot the heads as you would while hunting. Even if you damage one or two, I think you'll find that they do indeed fly identical to your field points (at least the 100 gr do for me)

Good luck,

Jim.