Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

advantages of carbon

Old 02-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default advantages of carbon

I know this has been tossed around several times on this forum but I still cant make up my mind. I am currently shooting xx75s and shooting them fairly well but I cant get carbon out of my mind. What is the biggest reason people are switching to carbon? Will my site pins get closer? Whats the reason? I see Chuck Adams is still using alum. Is that because they are better or because he created them? I guess I want to know what the selling points are for carbon vs. alum.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: advantages of carbon

Ok. All the usuals, carbon has a smaller diameter, making for flatter trajectory created by less resistance, and better penetration because of the same. But, I would bet that your aluminums pass completely through a deer, and how much more penetration can you get..
Here's the point for me. Aluminum arrows get bent, kinked, dented, all sorts of things. Carbons can take a hell of a lot more abuse. They are either good, or they are broke. There's no in between. JMO.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

If you had to go out and buy everything over again would you buy carbon or alum knowing what you know now?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I prefer to use Aluminum mainly because of arrow spine consistancy around the entire axis of the arrow, weight consistancy, ease of target removal, and price.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:56 AM

Boiled down to the simplest points.

You can get carbons lighter, for a faster projectile and they don't bend. However the they are either striaght or broke thing is not true. They can warp and lose spine over time. Sometimes they are not that great right of the box. If you want good carbons, don't be cheap and get the 50 dollar ones, you get what you pay for with carbons.

Aluminum are heavier and a bit more fragile, but they offer better quality control and consistancy for the price. Plus if you are worried about matching your spine perfectly there are waay more choices to choose from and I think they are easier to work with as far as tuning for length. Keep in mind that currently quality aluminums cost about as much good carbons do really. However I have never found you need to shoot expensive aluminums, the cheaper ones work just as well in my opinion. So if you are looking to save some money, you can get decent aluminums for less then you can get carbons with the same specs, they might just weigh more and you will need to be more careful with them.

In either case a good arrow spinner is a decent envestment if you shoot alot. It will let you know when your arrows are not up to snuff any more, and numbering your arrows doesn't hurt either.

Or you could get ACC's, the best of both worlds. However they are pretty expensive, but you for sure get what you pay for with them.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 02-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

At this point I am not afraid of spending money on good arrows with the exception on ACC. They are a little rich for my blood. I just want the best arrow.